Learn Chinese in China
liuzhou

Wikipedia Unblocked?

35 posts in this topic

I just (accidentally) clicked on a wikipedia link, and to my surprise, just as I was about to hit stop, I noticed that it was going through. I am wiki unblocked.

Can anyone confirm from anywhere else?

Reaction to NK's bomb test?

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Here as well!

Hurray! :D

Beijing checking in - excellent

Wikipedia page, with a screenshot below in case I get edited out . . .

693_thumb.attach

HAPPY DAY :mrgreen:

Very nice. I was expecting at least selective blocking of certain sites on wiki (like HR in china and Taiwan). But every site I’ve check so far hasn't been a problem.

that is awesome!! great to hear! finally a step foward after all the steps back in regards to censorship recently. hopefully itll last...

is the article on the 'day/heavenly_peace_gate' viewable?

Don't get too excited! Wiki was always available.Even when it was "blocked". In the sad case that they block it again and this is just an abberation, feel free to PM me. It is so easy!

thanks liuzhou ill pm you should the need arise! but im also happy that the average chinese person (without your technical means) now has a little more information to look at that isnt tailored specifically for them if you know what i mean.

True, but the simple fact of being able to just click on Google links rather than click on it, wait five minutes, think 'oh yeah, that doesn't work' . . .

Chinese Wikipedia seems to remain blocked, though. That's what I have read in the village pump discussion section in Chinese Wikipedia. Anyway, it is good step in the right direction. I wonder if it is related to the current meeting of top leaders of the Party in Beijing.

I doubt it's related to anything to be honest, except perhaps someone realising they're being a bit daft. And lets all remember that we've been here before

i got thru to that page

I'm very excited about this. I hope it lasts. It makes me want to go look up random stuff because I can.

I was also excited to see that since the last time I was in Beijing the NY Times is unblocked too.

The NY Times has been unblocked since just after the 9/11 attacks in 2001.

Yeah, I can get it now, although it's slow. My net connection must have been unreliable the other day.

Are they getting pressure from anywhere/anyone to loosen their grip on information?

I know the Jimmy Wales was planning on making a trip sometime around now (he may have already gone) to try and talk with leaders and China, and get them to allow people to access the site.

I didn't realize that NYTimes was unblocked- thats great! Anyone know if bbc news is still blocked?

Keith

So what is everyone's thoughts on the feasibility of China's attempts to censor internet content? They are doing a pretty darn good job now, with alot of people working around the clock to scan sites, etc. But with the number of people connected to the net growing as fast as it is (its going to pass U.S. later this year).. do you think they will be able to keep it up?

What will be the turning point?

BBC news is still blocked...

... unless you click here (sh)

Now being reported on slashdot...

'Wikipedia reported on its site that it had received word from multiple users in the country on Chinese-forums.com that the site had been restored.'"

That's quite funny, I expected someone to edit that line out fairly quickly and put in something . . . well, better. And now it's on the front page of slashdot . . .

hehe... at least they didn't link the people to this forum thread :)

The 2004 block referred to came allegedly in response to an article posted on the site as the country approached the 25th anniversary of the Tienneman Square massacre. The country subsequently initiated a mass edit of political articles on the site.

Hmm.. I guess the next question is- are they going to allow wikipedia to maintains its NPOV goal for articles? Or are you going to see more of a "China's POV" on some of the issues.

I added a comment to the slashdot article to clarify a couple of things and linked to the forums thread. However, it was #120 or something and so far has generated a total of 2 visits, at least one of which was me. So far the server is coping. I also linked to Liuzhou's blog, as he was the one to spot it first. Danwei is also on the case.