Chinese-Forums

Chinese Song of the Day

heifeng

Since we have a random word of the day thread, and a joke of the day thread somewhere, I thought I would start a song of the day one. I figure we could all use a new song to listen to once in a while, maybe discover something new here and there, something outside of the range of what we usually listen to...etc to start off or end our day.

Anyway, my song for today is one which I really liked when I saw it on CCTV during one of those random music intermissions a while ago: It is by

德德玛 called 我的根在草原I've just included the video, b/c I generally like to watch videos along w/ lyrics.

Ok, enjoy, I hope!:)

Edited by heifeng
fixed link

yeah, 凤凰传奇's not bad. Their song/verson of

is also pretty good.

Ok, here's another song which I just managed to find when I was looking at some of 庞龙's songs. I never actually heard this song on TV or the radio, but since I discovered it on Youtube, I think it's kinda catchy and I really like the video. It makes me want to eat 糖葫芦 and roll around in the snow...but not necessarily at the same time..:wink:.

So, here you go:

Edited by heifeng

sigh....anything goes here, whatever genre you like...just post it yo!

ok, well for today, here's a somewhat modernized version of

康定情歌 sung by 黄灿

(p.s. there are probably hundreds of versions of this song by the way since it's been around since the 30's however, I couldn't really find a good website to give the history on it, but I'm sure those interested can search too...)

I was tempted to post this in the smoking thread, but here might be a more appropriate place:

中南海 by Carsick Cars

This song for me is the epitome of Beijing rock. It's also fantastic to see live, as whenever they play this song, the audience will throw thousands of cigarettes onto the stage, which gives the whole thing a pretty surreal feeling (and also is the best use of cigarettes I've seen to date).

This song for me is the epitome of Beijing rock. It's also fantastic to see live, as whenever they play this song, the audience will throw thousands of cigarettes onto the stage, which gives the whole thing a pretty surreal feeling (and also is the best use of cigarettes I've seen to date).

My sentiments exactly. But, gougou, I've never seen anything like this, throw thousands of cigarettes on the stage? Is there some meaning behind this?

Re: Chinese Song of the Day

Quote:

My sentiments exactly. But, gougou, I've never seen anything like this, throw thousands of cigarettes on the stage? Is there some meaning behind this?

Philip Jägenstedt has an explanation on his blog,

http://blog.foolip.org/2007/10/24/carsick-cars-who-fucking-smoke-my-zhongnanhai/

Carsick Cars: who fucking smoke my Zhongnanhai?

October 24, 2007 by Philip

Carsick Cars is a fairly new Beijing rock band which I discovered via MusicBrainz only yesterday. After listening to the repetetive lyrics and riffy guitar of 中南海 (Zhōngnánhǎi) I think I’m hooked! The title refers to the name of a popular brand of cigarettes, but Zhongnanhai is also the name of the area to the west of the Forbidden City (called the New Forbidden City by Beijingers) from where the Party runs the People’s Republic.

zhongnanhai.jpg?w=100&h=138

中南海,中南海……中南海,中南海

中南海,中南海……抽烟只抽中南海

中南海,中南海……生活离不开中南海

中南海,中南海……谁他妈抽了我的中南海?[source]

Zhongnanhai, Zhongnanhai… Zhongnanhai, Zhongnanhai

Zhongnanhai, Zhongnanhai… I only smoke Zhongnanhai

Zhongnanhai, Zhongnanhai… I can’t live without Zhongnanhai

Zhongnanhai, Zhongnanhai… who fucking smoke my Zhongnanhai?

Figuring out which Zhongnanhai the lyrics might refer to is left as an exercise to the reader. I haven’t been able to get hold of their self-titled debut album yet, but a record shop in 东单 has a copy booked for me. On Thursday they’re playing at the Mao Club and everyone must go! For those not in Beijing, here’s the video of Zhongnanhai instead.

See also:

* Carsick Cars on MySpace

* Maybe Mars, their record label (also on MySpace)

* Thursday’s gig on Last.fm

throw thousands of cigarettes on the stage? Is there some meaning behind this?
I don't think so. I guess at one time, one person started as a joke, then a few people followed, they realized it looked pretty cool and there you go.

I've heard those two but frankly I'm not that into songs about love/relationships...so hard for me to find Chinese songs I like...so for that reason I really liked 家在东北. I remember hearing Ricky Martin's song La Vida Loca in Spanish years ago and liked it a lot even though I don't know Spanish, and I now wonder if there is a Chinese version of it, or close to it - very funny, very catchy...