Chinese-Forums

What are you reading?

skylee

On 1/31/2024 at 9:42 AM, Lu said:

Can you elaborate on 《草原动物园》? It didn't interest me when I read about it, but I'm likely wrong about that.

Oh, I don't think it's necessarily the right book for everybody. It's just a rather charming story about a British guy who wants to build a zoo way out in the Chinese countryside in the early 1900s, so he has to take a long journey across the wilderness with a bunch of different animals (elephants, snakes, lions, etc.), and he receives help from different (sometimes eccentric) characters along the way. It was much easier to read than the lychee book, for sure. But the lychee book is probably of a higher literary quality, and it certainly has better reviews on Weixin. It seems to have a common theme with the lychee book (man sets out on a difficult journey to do an absurd task), though in this case, the journey is completely voluntary and doesn't have a potential death penalty attached to it.

• Helpful 1

I quit the history book 舍不得看完的中国史 after a week. I am not ready to enjoy such a book yet, it was exhausting to follow all the dates, names, places, etc. The language itself wasn't a problem, it is written in a very accessible way, but I don't have the energy to read in Chinese and assimilate so much information simultaneously. The book narrates 12 battles from the Zhou dynasty to the Qin dynasty, so I'll probably go back to it whenever I start reading the manga Kingdom, which takes place in the same time period.

I picked up 金刚经说什么 by 南怀瑾 instead, an essay on the diamond sutra by a buddhist scholar. It reads like a lecture (it might be a transcription), and it's been a very relaxing read so far. It is pretty easy to follow if you ignore the original text, which he explains very thoroughly anyways. He quotes and explains many other non-buddhist texts (like poems), which is nice. As someone learning Chinese, I really like how much emphasis he puts on the language itself, like when he explains buddhist terms that are hard to translate (e.g. 境界).

On the flip side, it's not a short book (~180k hanzi) and it's starting to get a bit repetitive. It also throws some innecessary shade at sanskrit and India in general in the introduction.

• Like 3

Pondering what to read next? Some inspiration from the excellent series China Book Reviews. Thankfully, the article gives the Chinese titles as well as the English translations.  

What China’s Reading: How Past Reflects Present  

Chinese literature has a long tradition of using history to discuss contemporary affairs. Our columnist picks five recent titles that do just that, from Shang sacrifices to neglected spouses.

Of the whole list, I only know Ma Boyong's 太白金星有点烦, which I've been trying to read on-and-off (more off than on tbh) and somehow can't imagine me finishing reading it. It's not the 神话 in it, I've done a couple of helpful moocs to guide me, but Ma Boyong's Chinese prose is beyond my brain's reach, takes me a long time to unravel every paragraph. Fully agree with comments by @Lu and @Woodford above, and if anything, this book is even worse than the lychees' one.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Interesting article, thanks! I'll have to remember these titles.

Immortal Li, a mid-level celestial bureaucrat, is one step away from being promoted to a god when he is tasked with planning Xuanzang’s famous pilgrimage. A myriad of problems follow — from onboarding the monk’s unruly companions, to orchestrating the 81 trials demanded by such trips. In order for the journey to be a success, Immortal Li has to navigate through a web of nepotism, red tape and infighting that is a feature of any Chinese government, celestial or not.

Between the lychee book, the zoo book and this description, I start to wonder if all Ma Boyong's books are about planning a difficult journey.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished 看见 by 柴静. It looked like a pretty popular book on Weixin, so I thought I'd check it out! Throughout the course of the book, Chai Jing tells different stories about her career as a TV journalist. Some of the stories are quite wild. She investigates criminal activity, makes a lot of people angry with her pointed questions, and pursues justice. She addresses pretty controversial topics, like domestic violence, extreme pollution, the death penalty, government corruption, etc. One of my favorite stories was the one about a man who submitted a fake picture of an endangered South China tiger (assumed to be extinct in the wild) in order to get a monetary award from the government. Pretty quickly, people were discovering that the picture was a total fake and stolen from a Chinese New Year calendar. However, the scandal expanded to epic proportions and involved the officials who (without doing due diligence and investigation) approved the picture and gave him the money. I found the whole farce to be rather amusing. Other stories were much darker, and Chai would sometimes put herself in the way of danger.

I'd like to say this was a smooth and casual read (I was hoping it would be), but it wasn't. It's one of those books that makes me feel a bit stupid in my Chinese skills! Vocabulary-wise, it was okay. I learned about 60 new words in a 350-page book. But the book had a lot of colloquialisms in it, and I sometimes felt like I lacked the context to know exactly what was going on. At the same time, Chai Jing seems like a really educated person, so she brings forth a lot of literary terms and chengyu. The dialogue was sometimes hard to follow. I would occasionally encounter a paragraph where I understood all the individual words, but it felt like I was reading word salad. I just couldn't piece it all together.

As I approach the completion of 50 books, I can only come to one conclusion: Easy books are still easy, and hard books are still hard. Not as climactic as I predicted!

• Like 3

On 3/12/2024 at 6:30 PM, Woodford said:

As I approach the completion of 50 books, I can only come to one conclusion: Easy books are still easy, and hard books are still hard. Not as climactic as I predicted!

There will always be hard books. Even in your native language I'm sure there are books that are a struggle for you to read. I think progress rather is measured by how the hard books from x years ago are now the medium-hard books. I'm not sure where exactly that point is (I lost count of my books-read at some point earlier in this thread), but for me it's very noticeable with Jin Yong, which in 2008 was just about almost doable with great effort, a dictionary and the help of a native speaker (and which I gave up on after 100 pages), and which now is an absolute pleasure read that I look forward to diving back into every day. Which is not to say it should take 16 years, I'm sure progress can be measured earlier than that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently read 病毒 by 倪匡, a very short scifi-fantasy story that I don't particularly recommend. It probably belongs to a book series, because I got the impression that I was expected to be familiar with the main characters. The only interesting thing is that it deals with 降头术, which I didn't know existed.

Finished the first volume of 平凡的世界 after almost 24 hours of reading over a period of 50 days. What an epic story! I love how interconnected all the character's lives are and the intricacies of the politics from village to city to region. I feel like really being in the middle of the places and period of time described. Probably I'll just go on reading the second one, I'm worried if I read something else in between, it'll be hard to reconnect with the multitude of characters.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 6:23 PM, lordsuso said:

病毒 by 倪匡, a very short scifi-fantasy story that I don't particularly recommend. It probably belongs to a book series

Oh yeah, it's a LONG series. His writing quality feels really low to me, but he helped me slowly begin to read paper books instead of only e-books with Text Analyzer/Pleco/MandarinSpot/GoogleTranslate.

• Helpful 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:09 PM, 杰娃娃 said:

For a language learner, Gu Long's writing style is great

I agree, it's simple and very addicting, his novels are the most atmospheric and engrossing I've read so far in Chinese.

On 4/13/2024 at 3:09 PM, 杰娃娃 said:

《紫川》 老猪 - Zichuan by Lao Zhu

There are a couple of fantasy webnovels that interest me, but they are all so freaking long that I can't gather the courage to start one haha. Why did you choose this one? Simply because you enjoyed the cartoon?

On 4/13/2024 at 4:28 PM, lordsuso said:

There are a couple of fantasy webnovels that interest me, but they are all so freaking long

That is what keeps me off web novels. I'd read them as guilty pleasure if it weren't so time-consuming, eating into my time for reading better things. I'd read comics if I'd know where to find good versions (complete &finished, with no spicy scenes missing, and preferably free, or payable without me needing to study how to pay).

• Like 1

I've recently been bingeing on 張系國. Anybody know why 《星雲組曲》is not considered part of his 《城》三部曲? I mean it provides the backstory of every planet and culture that shows up in 《五玉碟》. 

I'm finding the fluctuation in writing quality of 《五玉碟》 to be a bit jarring, but I'm genuinely enjoying it so far. For example, 

Spoiler

the absurdity of the comic relief, in chapter 7 and especially 8, is worthy of Robin Hood, Men in Tights. 

Did I just not notice this in earlier chapters?

On 4/13/2024 at 2:28 PM, lordsuso said:

his novels are the most atmospheric and engrossing I've read so far in Chinese.

Another author who gripped me is 紫金陈. 无证之罪 really kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. I don't normally like reading a page or two here and there when I have a few minutes, but this book had lots of short chapters and I read a little bit whenever I had a few spare minutes. I would like to get to the author's other works later this year.

On 4/13/2024 at 2:28 PM, lordsuso said:

Why did you choose this one? Simply because you enjoyed the cartoon?

Actually I was initially drawn to the book by its front cover while looking for book recommendations online. Later I saw that it had been made into a cartoon, and decided to check it out. I don't think I really understood the investment at the time, as I'm still only 85% trough the novel. CTA says that the whole thing is just under 2 million characters. There have definitely been parts that I've enjoyed a lot, but there have been some repetitive bits too (these can be quite useful for drilling language points).

• Like 3