Chinese-Forums

Rent prices in Hangzhou

Ether

I hear that Hangzhou is not as expensive as Beijing or Shanghai but that housing prices have steadily climbed in recent years.

For the most part, did housing prices go up or down post-Olympics? I'm assuming down.. with the global economic mess.. down?

Either way, if anybody is actually living in Hangzhou, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what you're paying and what you're getting in terms of it (bedroom, bath, kitchen?)

A range of prices in terms of rent would be very nice.

I would probably need a 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen and bathroom. I wouldn't need it to be luxurious but it must at least have western style toilets and not be dirty/shoddy.

• 2 months later...

I used to rent a place for 1,800rmb a month, which from what I hear is pretty cheap. It was about 20-30mins on the bus from downtown but has everything you need for daily life. As for the apartment itself it was 2 bedrooms with a living room kitchen but was very basic and in need of some serious repairs. It had ac in the bedrooms but not in the living room and was quite dirty and antiquated. My friends live downtown and pay about 5000-6000 for centre of town in a really nice 3 bedroom place.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, to put that in perspective, in Shanghai I rented my first apartment for 1100 rmb in 06 and then came back in 07 and rented one in the same building for 1200 (much better shape).

These were yi fang yi ting apartments and they were 5 minutes walk to the subway (line 1) in Zhabei district.

I would hope you could find something for around the same amount in Hangzhou if you look hard enough.

• 4 years later...
  • New Members

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can offer any tips for finding accommodation in Hangzhou other than the student dorms.  Any suggestions?  Would like to come to Hangzhou to learn mandarin, just finding out what accommodation options.  many thanks :)