Chinese-Forums

Multiple Entries on X (Study) Visa

abcdefg

I've always traveled to China on a tourist visa (L) and used it both for study and leisure travel here. I currently hold a one-year multiple entry visa with the duration of each stay specified as 90 days. (US passport.) Am considering switching to a student visa (X) and my school is able to do this rather easily. In fact they are gently urging me to make the change and will get me one which lasts until September. The cost is not an issue.

What I cannot seem to nail down is whether the resulting X visa will allow me to take an occasional long weekend out of China (Thailand, Hong Kong, Macau) and then re-enter China to continue my studies.

I looked at a classmate's X visa and it only lists the issue date and the expiration date. It has no mention of how many entries are allowed. The China Embassy website does not shed any light on the subject.

Does anyone have experience with this and know whether I can leave China for a few days and then return on the same student visa? Or is it only good for one entry, from the time of issue to the time it expires?

I searched the forum and found related topics, but not quite what I'm looking for. If I somehow overlooked the answer, I apologize in advance. Thanks.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84243.htm

"2.Generally, (X) visa is valid for one entry, three months. The holder of a (X) visa must go through residential formalities in the local public security department within thirty days of entry into China.

3.American citizens may apply multiple entry ( X ) visas valid for 12 months.The holders must go through residential formalities in the local public security department within thirty days of entry into China."

That's misleading. It's valid for one entry, to be made up to three months after it's issued. It is NOT valid for three months after entry.

What will happen is you'll get an X visa, and then go through the formalities to get that converted into a residence permit. Your residence permit is a sticker in your passport which allows you unlimited trips in and out.

You may find if you're making the change in China that you just get the residence permit directly.

The 12 month X visas I've heard tell of, but I think it's still normal to get the 30 day version and then covert to a residence permit in country.

As always with visas - your mileage may vary.

I plan to make the switch from J visa to X visa from here within China and then re-register the new visa with my local PSB. Am not moving or changing schools, just getting a new visa.

I had read the http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84243.htm information, but it seemed to be aimed a applicants who were handling the process from outside China.

I know Roddy's YMMV comment is all too true. Appreciate the input. Will let you all know how it works out.

An X visa only up to September? That seems short. With the 60th anniversary of the CCP coming up in October and the corresponding tightening of visa restrictions you might want to check you'll still be able to get another one after that.

An X visa only up to September? That seems short.

You're right. It's short, but it's long enough for my needs. I must return home and work a while before coming back to China for more language study.

Is it possible to convert a "F" visa to a residence permit? I'm planning on attending a full-year language program (hopefully with CSC support) but in the interim, I applied for and received an acceptance letter to BLCU for the summer. However, the JW202 (Visa app) for states that it's for an "F"/Business visa and not an "X"/Student visa, I suspect that this is because it's only a six-week course. I have yet to receive any kind of acceptance letter as to which program I will be attending this fall/spring so I cannot apply for an "X" visa initially.

1. Should I wait for that acceptance letter or can I just apply for the "F" visa first and switch to a residence permit once I receive the acceptance letter for a full-year program?

2. Is it even possible to switch a "F" visa to a residence permit once I'm in China?

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up: Made the switch from L to X. Health check was easy and cost 300 RMB. New visa is good for multiple entries until I must return to the US in September. It cost 400 RMB. The process took about one week. Re-registration with the PSB was quick, routine and painless.

• 5 years later...

Hey guys, I may be accepted in a one-year language program this September through CSC but I might go to Korea this October for a one-week study tour. Thus, I will need a double entry student X1 visa. But, as what I have read, before my first travel to China for the enrollment, I will be given a single entry visa. On the other hand, from what I have also read, 

What will happen is you'll get an X visa, and then go through the formalities to get that converted into a residence permit. Your residence permit is a sticker in your passport which allows you unlimited trips in and out. 

Will there be any conflict in my situation? Or, would this piece of information make me feel at ease? I hope I could get the residence permit before October.  :help

What a grave dig.

The visa laws were changed last year so lots is different.

In theory with the long term study visa (X1 - not see a new one yet) you should get a 30 day entry visa which you need to use in China to get a residence permit which will give you permission to be in China from the entry date to the exit date. So you should be able to more or less come and go as you please.

Then again I've not seen the new ones with my own eyes yet, so I can't be sure.

• 2 years later...