Chinese-Forums

Sisu Vs Ecnu

Iriya

Hello, everyone!

I'm going to China this fall to study Chinese from scratch. I've successfully applied to both SISU and ECNU and got the documents, but I'm not sure which one to choose.

I'm going to study Chinese for 2 years and then continue my education in China.

I'd like to note that I'm absolutely NOT interested in having a "crazy college life", I'm going to study, and study hard. With this in mind, ECNU seems to be the better choice. Is this correct?

Also, any first hand accounts of life on campus would be great. Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Steph 

Sorry for super late reply , I haven't checked the site for 2 years :( 

For future students that might also between these two university. I would definitely suggest SISU , because it has better location and dormitory alot better than ECNU. 

I have also visited ECNU in my time in Shanghai , and I felt fortunate that I didn't chose ECNU which is pretty bad. 

Cheers

Hello, I'm 华东师范大学 student, I really like that place, specially Minhang campus. 华东师范大学 is one of the best places to study Chinese in China, you can check it in baidu~

If you have more questions, you can contact me

Hi Lin You Le, good to see a Chinese person who went to the school weigh in on the subject. Can you tell a bit more about what makes 华东师范大学 so good? And seeing that the OP wanted to choose ECNU or SISU, how is ECNU better in your experience?

@LU In order to study Chinese, 华东师范大学 is one of the best schools in China. Teachers and teaching materials are very good, but if you really want to study Chinese don't talk your mother language between and after the class, otherwise doesn't matter which school you choose, you wont improve your Chinese..

I tell you that because most of my classmates are in this situation, more then one year studying Chinese in China and very very poor Chinese skills..

• 1 month later...

I studied at ECNU a couple semesters ago and loved it. The campus is beautiful, there is a park which runs through the campus! I have gained many friends since a lot of foreigners go to this school. Also you have bars very close to the campus almost at all the gates. Plus there are a lot of shops and food stands which are cheap and great to eat.

Just so you guys know ECNU's dormitories have public bathrooms. So you will share it with other students.

Plus its kinda far from metro station. If you are up for it I guess it won't matter which uni you choose you will improve your chinese a lot. However I would choose SISU again if I have chance to study Chinese again. 

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Hi there!

In the international student dormitory there are no public washrooms, only shared washrooms on each floor. There are large washrooms on each floor with multiple showers and stalls, and each floor is either strictly male or female. If you choose to get a single room, you have your own personal washroom in your room with a toilet and shower! I would highly recommend the single room :)