Chinese-Forums

Lonely China Day's New Album

Flying Pigeon

Hi,

I really liked Lonely China Day's album "Sorrow". I've been listening to clips from their latest album "This Readily Assimilative People" on their Myspace and douban sites. It's got a different vibe and isn't grabbing my attention like "Sorrow" did. Maybe it's one of those albums that grows on you the more you listen to it. It's still too early for me to form a definite opinion, need to listen to it a few more times.

Has anyone listened to it? If so, what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't checked out their new album yet but I'm definitely headed to Yugong Yishan to catch their gig with The Offset: Spectacles (July 15). I saw them at Dos Kolegas a few months ago and am really curious to see if they fill the YGYS space...

zhuhao,

How was the show at 2 Kolegas? Who was in the band? Did they play new material? The new album uses alot of processed beats, so I'm wondering how that translates live.

I saw them two years ago in Qingdao. At that time their lineup was Deng Pei, Wang Dongtao and a drummer whose name I can't remember, and who was replaced by their current drummer, Han Rubing. Sadly, no "live" bassist. A rockin' show, nonetheless.

I can't make it to the show on the 15th. I look forward to hearing about it.

I'm also planning to go the show on the 15th! Also curious how they'll work Yugong, I've seen them at Mao and 2 Kolegas before, can't quite picture them at YGYS. Let's hope the sound system holds up...

How was the show at 2 Kolegas? Who was in the band? Did they play new material? The new album uses alot of processed beats, so I'm wondering how that translates live.

I don't know enough about Lonely China Day specifically to tell you who was in the band, and my photos turned out really crap, but I wrote a review of it here. However, I think they were still playing songs from Sorrow. I'll let you know what I think of the This Ready Assimilative People gig on the 15th.

Cool. I look forward to hearing how it compares to the show you saw at 2 Kolegas.

I think their usual set-up is two guitarists and a drummer. I've seen video clips of them when they were a 5-piece: two guitarists, a bassist and drummer. I prefer that line up. I play the bass, so I always like watching a bassist play live.

Have fun at the show!

• 2 weeks later...

So, did anybody else go?

I loved the show! They played surprisingly many songs off "Sorrow", which I appreciated as that's one of my favorite albums ever. Not convinced of the new stuff yet - I like where it is going, but some songs seemed like they took their old instrumental parts and added some noisy electronics below that. Didn't always work out perfectly, I think. But overall, I need to be going to their gigs more regularly again, really enjoy their music. Offset:Spectacles are great, too, whenever I see them I wonder what other bands use drummers for again...

Oh, but Yugong Yishan should really get somebody to do something about the lighting. Their shows look like Chinese christmas trees now. At least we didn't get treated to the laser yesterday...

• 5 years later...

I only came across this band really recently. Although I haven't had a chance to listen to their album "Sorrow" I have listened to "Memoir" which I really like. I wish I had known about them while I was still in China so I could have checked them out live.