Chinese-Forums

East China Normal University

zaydxpres

@pho For fee-paying students there are no lists, except reservation dormitory lists.

Yes, I only got an email, they didn’t sent to me the copy of admission letter or something else (by e-mail), if you asked about it.

Yes, I lived and studied Chinese at Zhongbei Campus. All students are learning Chinese there, so forget about Minhang Campus. The map of Zhongbei Campus is the first picture and it doesn’t have any legend, Dorm No.12 is number 41 and I lived in Dorm No.2 that is number 39 on the map. As I said before, all the dormitories almost the same, so you can watch the pictures of Dorm No.1. I liked my dorm, it was clean and convenient. Everything that is written on the dorm page is true. Pay attention that in your room there is no restroom, but on the floor there are public restroom and shower. For someone it’s maybe a problem, but I live such that and find it quite ok. There is also a kitchen with one huge refrigerator or two small, microwave and hot plate on the floor. We didn’t need to buy bed belongs, once a week (in our dormitory it was Saturday) you can change you sheet and etc. in special room in your dorm.

@Tantara. Will you recommend the standard or the intensive program? I have red conflicting views about them. Having just a HSK2 level,  I wonder if it is not better to follow the standard program and use the free afternoons to speak chinese with friends or with people in the city instead of cramming more courses in the afternoon. I think you learn to speak faster that way on top of discovering the country and its people.

@pho I studied at standard program and find it effective. I think most depend on you: if you really want to improve Chinese, you’ll improve it. I also heard that intensive course not so good and afternoon lessons are a little bit boring. Yes, I agree with you, I did the same: in the morning have standard program classes, afternoon and weekends chat with Chinese. University once a week has a Chinese-English corner where you can practice your Chinese for free, meet new people. Also if you in the beginning of September leave your contacts (name, telephone number, email) in the school on the 1st floor, then after one-two weeks university find a language partner (Chinese student or teacher) for you for free too. If you want to improve Chinese, I highly recommend to speak more Chinese and less English and mother tongue. In the beginning it maybe be quite hard, but it really works.

@Tantara. Some posts talk about a lot of fees to pay when you arrive in September, including the rent for the semester. Bloggers recommend to bring some money with you because the scholarship seems to be paid later in October. How did you manage money issues there? Did you bring cash you exchanged in Shanghai or did you use a credit card like Visa/Mastercard? Did you open a bank account in a chinese bank?

@pho Before I went to China I made a UnionPay card. I also had a cash (in RMB), thanks in my hometown there is a Bank of China. I think it is inconvenient to go to China with dollars (quite difficult to change) and Visa/Mastercard credit card (are accepted by few ATMs).

@Tantara. That sounds a great idea. Did you open a Bank of China account as well? If you opened one was it easy to use your account online once in China?

I visited the website of the Unionpay card. I tried to find the steps to apply for one in Germany, seems quite complicated and via the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China not BOC.

How did you get your Unionpay card? Was it from Bank of China and which type of card did you choose Debit or Credit?

I don't know where you are from but obviously here in Germany it is not easy as the German version of the Chinese websites are very limited :P !

@pho I opened an account in Bank of China to change my money to RMB (if you don’t have an account, you can’t change money).

I made a debit UnionPay card not in Bank of China, but in bank that is not Chinese at all. I almost forget why I didn’t make a Bank of China’s card, it’s something like you can’t use this card in China, only in your country or something like this. So I can advise you to look through German banks sites and figure out what types of cards they issue (I mean Visa, Mastercard, UnionPay). I didn’t visit the website of the UnionPay card at all.

• 2 weeks later...

@pho According to my experience, I can remember only one day when pollution was really bad. According to my friends experience, in November and December the quality of air is bad too. Anyway, Shanghai’s air quality is mooore better then Beijing’s.

• 2 weeks later...

@Tantara. Hi, still waiting to see this CIS list published on the ECNU website, chinese version. They seem to be rather late this year. Unless I got the wrong page? Could you please tell me if this is the correct one http://lxs.ecnu.edu.cn/list.php?id=9? Thanks. I asked ECNU about the publication date for that list using their "online consultation" http://lxs.ecnu.edu.cn/EN/book.php but no reply and from experience I know they don't answer all questions!

On another subject. What were the requirements when you get your admission papers? One friend of mine has to write an essay of 500 words -she goes to fudan for 6 months-. Was it also the case for you?

Did you had to do a medical check up before going? I red on the CSC forum that you can do it in China instead.

@pho Yes, it is the correct page.

I have never used “online consultation”, but contacted them by email. If there are still no news from them, try to write on lxs@ecnu.edu.cn

I was a fee-paying student, I didn’t write an essay, so I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

If you go for one semester, you don’t need physical examination.

• 2 weeks later...

@tantara. In the brochure I got from ECNU, there is a mention of the possibility to extend your study and stay for the Spring Semester. You need to do an application by the end of November to apply for this extension. I know you were a fee-paying student but during your stay did you come across someone you had a semester scholarship starting in September and who managed to take advantage of this extension for the Spring semester?

@Tatanra. Could you give some details about the physical exam you have done at home or at the ECNU in China (the brochure mentions that at the beginning of the semester the Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center comes to the university for students who want to do the Physical examination) ? If I manage to extend my stay for another semester, I will probably need to do one. Thanks.

I know you were a fee-paying student but during your stay did you come across someone you had a semester scholarship starting in September and who managed to take advantage of this extension for the Spring semester?

@pho I’m afraid I can’t answer this question.

As I said before, I went for one semester, so I didn't need physical examination, I didn't have such experience.

• 3 weeks later...

@Tatanra. Hi, the forum is very quiet these days. Everybody is now busy packing I imagine!

I have just received my Dormitory booking for ECNU. I will be in Dormitory 15 with a few mainly Italian girls. Most of the others are in the International Exchange Service Centre. Do you know where this dormitory is by any chance? I can't find it on the campus maps. Thanks.

@Tantara. ECNU was very fast in answering me. Dormitory 15 is on the Zhongbei Campus near the International Exchange Service Center.

About what to put in the suitcase. It is better to buy a laptop in Shanghai or to bring one? What else do you advise me to bring and what is better to buy in China?