Chinese-Forums

BLCU General Discussion

roddy

More general discussion of study and living at BLCU - classroom reports, on-campus activities, canteens, administration, etc. If you're not sure whether you should study at BLCU or not, and want to ask some questions, post here with specific queries. 'What is BLCU like?', or 'Should I go to BLCU, I'm not sure' are not specific.

For links to more specific discussions, please see the BLCU Index - please note, there are existing topics for BLCU accommodation and applications, and also for introducing yourself to others coming to Beijing - please use those where appropriate.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hey!

Does anyone have any links to pages or blogs (or anything!) were i can find out about blcu alumni?

Ive tried the blcu website but the alumni page is all in chinese. I'm wanting to do the two year college certificate in Chinese for trade and business, and am having difficulty finding out the WORTH of this course.

If anyone has ANY information, it would be much appreciated!

Anna.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi everyone :)

I have been studying chinese for a year in the US, and I visit Beijing few times every year. Now I would like to live there for a while, and thinking about applying for BLCU fall 2012.

My question is what's the difference between taking a 1 year program and a 2 year 'college certificate program'. I mean if I get a certificate, would that be an advantage to future jobs for example...? Is it much more worth having a certificate...?

And do I have to decide which program I will take BEFORE applying? Sorry I'm a bit lost...

• 1 month later...

To those of you who are studying at BLCU, or have studied there in the past, how old are the students in your class?

Are the semester or one year enrolled students usually university undergraduates?

Are there many mature age students doing these courses?

Vinny, I am currently doing my second semester in BLCU and I can tell you that almost every class has one or more "mature" students. The 30+ age group can be rather prominently noticed. I have a Swedish lady in one of my classes and she's in 50s. Earlier had a German partner who was in mid-40s. There's no age barrier here as long as one is open to interaction. Since I have no idea about the clubbing and the nightlife culture, I cannot comment on how far do the mature students involve themselves in such activities [with classmates].

The typical age group would be in mid-20s. Most of us are graduates with international relations/politics/economics and language studies as the major.

• Like 2

Intensive classes are daily 6 hours - 8.30 am to 12.30 pm and then 2 pm to 4 pm. There were a few friends who chose the intensive option because it is made to look like it's going to do much more benefit to your Chinese than the regular course but it's the opposite in real. A practically 8-hour long schedule everyday left them drained enough to do any revision or do some extracurricular activities. Instead, they spent the rest of their time catching up with the immense amount of Chinese taught everyday and the homework. One of them wanted to change but it is not possible to switch from intensive to regular.

I think the regular 8.30-12.30 schedule is just fine, totaling 20 hours a week [sometimes lesser, depending on optional subjects you choose]. Leaves one with sufficient time to make Chinese friends and language partners, exploring the city, giving English tuitions, enjoying the nightlife - take your pick!

• Like 3

Hi there

appreciate if anyone can share their experiences of taking Advanced Chinese at BLCU.

does BLCU have a separate track for Heritage Speakers (Chinese as a second language background)which differs from the regular classes?

How are classes conducted, exam methods, and the teaching (is it mainly drills, speeches, vocab memorisation, drills, etc) Is it easy to change classes if you don't like the teacher? Are there free-style discussions in class? How often does the teacher correct students' mistakes during class?

Are there any courses that focus on developing writing skills (business communications, letter writing, different styles of essay writing, academic research papers, etc). And do they offer any chinese history or chinese literature for advanced learners?

Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey!

Does anyone have any links to pages or blogs (or anything!) were i can find out about blcu alumni?

Ive tried the blcu website but the alumni page is all in chinese. I'm wanting to do the two year college certificate in Chinese for trade and business, and am having difficulty finding out the WORTH of this course.

If anyone has ANY information, it would be much appreciated!

Anna

Try Facebook

BLCU - Beijing Language & Culture University

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To me that sounds quite hard. I had a classmate last semester who was in the same situation, but I think he decided on doing one more year of Chinese before attending university(don't know how he would finance it). If you are a good student and prepared to put in the time, you could probably skip a grade, if you study over the winter break(6-7 weeks long if i remember right). In that case you would finish BLCU:s lower intermediate level. I know of a couple of people who did this, but most were Japanese or Korean. Even if you pull it off, you would be at roughly HSK 5, so keeping up with you chinese classmates could prove a challenge...

• 4 months later...

Hi! Today i recived my admission notice from BLCU. Hurray!!!! :D However, there is one thing about the payment i just like to check with you guys before i do anything. This is a part of the email i got:

"You should complete the balance payment by wire transfer at a local bank, and here is our bank information:

Bank Name: HSBC Bank Hong Kong

Account Number: 098-364185-838

SWIFT CODE: HSBCHKHHHKH

Name of Beneficiary: Sinowest International Education Inc.

Bank Address: 2/F, HSBC Building Mong Kok, 673 Nathan Road, Mong Kok, Hong Kong

Beneficiary Address: 141-758, 6200 McKay Avenue, Burnaby, BC, V5H 4M9, Canada

Please mention the reference number when you send the payment. In order to reserve the accommodation for you, please make sure to complete the balance payment before October 30th, 2012. Please email us the receipt from the bank.."

As far as i can tell i'm only supposed to pay before October 30th if i want to reserve the accomondation i've applied for. This means that if I don't want to pay now and reserve the accpomondation I don't have to pay untill arriving in Beijing, right? Or will I loose my spot if I don't pay before October 30th?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hi!

This forum has been really useful!

I am a norwegian girl, and right now I am in my second year of chinese. Next year I want to go to Beijing to study chinese for 1 year, and BLCU looks like a nice option.

Even though, I have some questions about the BLCU campus environment:

- I would like to have a great year with social gatherings, but still take the studies seriously. Is this possible at BLCU? Lots of places I have read that most of the students there are not really motivated and are just partying - is this true?

- I really like to work out - how is the gym at campus?

- Which dorm would be the best if I want an OK standard, but not to expensive?

Thank you for your response,

Ida