Chinese-Forums

Fujian Normal University

roddy

This topic is for discussion and reviews of Fujian Normal University. Accommodation, courses, on-campus facilities and activities - anything to do with Fujian Normal University goes in here. If there's a lot of discussion about any one particular topic we might split it into a new thread and leave a link here.

• 6 years later...
  • New Members

Hello!
My name is Greg and I would like some advice about applying to Fujian Normal University for the Chinese Government Scholarship.  

I am considering applying to the Master of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language.  I would have to first take Mandarin courses until I could test into the program.
I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

1:  Does Fujian Normal University have a good Chinese Language program (for foreigners)?

2:  What is the curriculum like at Fujian?  As a foreigner, what should I expect once I begin the language program/masters course?  

3:  What are the accommodations like?  I will be 28 years old when I begin my studies here, and as an old man/American I would feel quite put off by having to be literal roommates with someone.  Does anyone have any insight into the general accommodation process in China?  As a foreigner, are you usually able to get a single room or is that more of a luxury?

Thank you in advance.  

-Greg 

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

I happen to be a graduate of Fujian Normal University. I will tell you what I know.

1. The Chinese Language and Literature program of FNU is quite good. Actually it's one of the top 20 in China. But I'm sorry that I don't know much about MA programs for foreigners.

2. I think the curriculum in Fujian is just like those of everywhere else in China. I think it requires a lot of self-study after class.

3. The FNU has two campus, a old one in city center and a new one on the outskirt of city. I don't know at which campus your program will be. But usually 4-6 students live in a dorm room, foreigners alike. If you are not comfortable with this you can always rent a room outside campus. There are plenty of rooms available near universities. If you have any trouble, you can always ask one of those students. They are very nice to foreign students and are willing to help.

Sue =)

But usually 4-6 students live in a dorm room, foreigners alike

Are you SURE about that? It would be extremely unusual

"The headquarters of FNU is made up of two campuses, the Qishan Campus and the Cangshan Campus. International College of Chinese Studies (ICCS) is located in beautiful Cangshan campus, responsible for recruitment and management and teaching of overseas students. The university supplies single room/double room/ suite room"

http://iccs.fjnu.edu.cn/English.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to studying in China... so I apologize in advance if some of the questions I ask may seem basic. First, I wanted to ask how I could go about applying to study short-term for the Non-Degree Chinese course here. I have tried looking online for the application, but I am not sure which is the correct one... I also tried calling the school, but no one answered.

I am currently not in China, so I cannot personally go there myself to ask. Also, does anyone know how long the application process takes usually?

And although this was already mentioned before-- does anyone else have any feedback on the Mandarin courses offered here?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Hi everyone.. I'm heading to Fujian Normal University next year to study Mandarin. It will be my first time at the university, in Fuzhou as well as China. I would appreciate any insight information, any tips, just anything that you think might be useful to know :) from anyone that's been there, or maybe just in Fuzhou. It would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Mona

• 7 months later...

Anyone here who is planning to study this year in Fujian Normal University? I'll come here for the year 2017..any seniors around here who can lend a hand with the entire process and with different inquiries regarding this? Thank you. I'm from the Philippines.

I studied Chinese language and literature at FNU in 2010-2011 on the Confucius institute scholarship.

In terms of the quality of the Chinese classes there, I highly recommend it. I started there with a zero level of mandarin, and in a year finished with hsk 3, and I regret not trying a higher level actually. I felt very confident with my mandarin skills.

The ICCS is in cangshan campus, very convenient as the dorm provided by the school is right across from the class building. Nearby a lot of restaurants shops and the student street. After FNU I transferred to Xiamen university , and I can say that the dorms in FNU are better than Xiamen. Carpeted and everything. I got lucky and got a big room with a bath tub and everything.

I guess I learned Chinese well because there are not as many foreigners there, and you have no choice but to speak Chinese. In terms of nightlife and whatever there isn't especially much to do, but it's not as rural as other parts in China. It's a good mix.

Living in Xiamen longer I could say Xiamen is more exciting and more beautiful, however I really enjoyed studying Chinese in FNU.

If anyone has any other questions I'll be glad to help. :) I have friends who also finished MA for teaching Chinese as a foreign language so I can also try answering questions about that.

• Like 3

Thank you Amanda, this is very help. I've got a lot of questions but feel free to just answer whichever ones you want.

Did you study Chinese literature in Chinese as well? How were the classes structures and taught? Now that you've graduated, how authoritative and/or useful do you find your degree? And, do you know anything about their higher level programs?

My goal at FNU would be to get my Chinese to an academic level to do translation/interpretation work or teach Chinese. Did your friends that did MA in CFL do them at FNU?

At FNU I studied in the language school, so I was with other foreign students too.

In the upper year levels you can study more Chinese lit. I only finished in the 1st and 2nd class which was basic to advanced basic. If your level is already more advanced you can study harder subjects but it won't be with other Chinese students since those subjects are under the international college of Chinese studies.

. But for me I only studied Listening, reading, writing and speaking. I didn't take my degree in FNU, I took it in Xiamen University. Unfortunately I don't know much about their higher level programs. Xiamen university has more foreigners taking MAs in Chinese business, etc. not just Chinese language. But in FNU if I know the only major with more foreigners is the MTCSOL (Masters of teaching Chinese to speakers of other languages).

Yes my friends did that major at FNU, it is quite tough apparently and you should have a good command of Chinese before taking that major. you have to pass hsk 5 first. Most people taking that major are from Southeast Asia and a lot of them have a good command of Chinese already. However I have heard that the program is good.

• Like 2

Thanks Amanda!

I found FNU's listing on CSC's website and also looked at Xiamen. Both offer 2-3 year masters programs in TCSOL, interpretation, and translation, which are the three directions I'm currently considering. My current Chinese is a strong HSK 4 or a weak/mid HSK 5 and I have another year on my contract out here in Gansu. At my current pace I should be able to pass HSK 6 by the end of this (with an HSK prep course since I am bad at the actual test part of testing). I'm up for the language challenge.

Why did you decide to go to Xiamen to take your degree over FNU?

I'm sure you'll be fine!

I chose Xiamen because generally it's a better school for a degree. For taking up a language course generally any school in china would be ok but for a degree I would rather chose a better and well known school.

Also the campus of Xiamen University is gorgeous, one of be most beautiful campuses in China. Xiamen itself is way more beautiful than Fuzhou, and more stuff to do. I was originally supposed to stay only for 2 years in Xiamen but extended just because I loved it there!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello, guys! When I was searching for Chinese language teaching in my country (the Philippines), I found a link that says that FNU has a localized MTCSOL curriculum (especially catered for us from South-East Asia) and it is actually my first time to see this kind of curriculum from a Chinese university. http://iccs.fjnu.edu.cn/n436c37.aspx I actually think it is good but I have not seen any reviews besides what is posted from this website... Do they also offer Hokkien/Fookien/Southern Min classes?

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...