Chinese-Forums

Fudan University

roddy

No, I'm Chinese actually, but I come from the Netherlands (: Really? It's a relieve to hear that. 
I was actually planning on staying in the dormitories, because it would be more practical to get to know other students, but because of some technical issues that weren't solved on time, I couldn't claim a spot. Would you (or anyone else) know about other student houses near Fudan besides Tohee? Sorry if it's the wrong thread to ask. 

Are you an international student too anonymoose? 

• 1 month later...

Hello Yihu,

I would like to study in Shanghai for one year. But haven't choose between Fudan University or Jiatong University yet. I'm also from The Netherlands. I have contact with Jiatong University, but do not have contact with Fudan. Do you know the contact mail for Fudan?

Kind Regards,

Yueju Hu

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys i have to two questions and no matter what i searched for i couldnot get the answer
i am doing a-levels now but i kind of screwed up my AS and i did bad however i am re-sitting and i was just wondering if you take for example the hsk test what grades do the chinese university requires and will i be accepted even if i have low grades.I couldnot find the grade requirements on any website.
thanks alot x 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't started at Fudan yet, but looked at lists of their clubs and things when I was looking at schools.

They seem to have a decent number, both Chinese and foreign students clubs. Especially being in Shanghai, even if it was outside of school, I'm sure you could find dance clubs/groups.

How are the school clubs at Fudan? In terms of diversity and specifically gearing towards any dance clubs?

Terrible. I mean, I guess it depends on your expectations. But compared with the university I attended in the UK, Fudan does not even come close. As for dance, specifically, Fudan does have a few clubs. They have, for example, a ballroom and latin club. As far as I recall, they meet once per week, and the level is basically beginner. They also have, or had, other dance clubs, like jazz or street dancing. Now the university I attended in the UK had a ballroom and latin club, with classes virtually every day, from beginner to advanced level, as well as classes for dance qualifications, and a weekly social dance event where you could practice what you had learnt in the class. The university also had a team which would compete in national competitions. There was also a salsa club, Argentine tango club, rock 'n roll club, and probably others I don't even remember.

I think the difference stems from the fact that extra curricular activities are seen as much more important in the UK. In China, they do lip service to extra curricular activities, but people are basically at university to study rather than to have a life.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am going to apply for pre admission to Fudan for a master's degree starting in 2016. I want to go under the CSC program so I can afford to go to grad school!  :P

What were your experiences with the pre admissions process? How did it work?

Is it super hard for foreigners to get in? I had an ok GPA at one college and an amazing GPA at another. My professors should give me good recs and are fairly well known in their respective fields. 

What program did you apply to-English language or Chinese?

Did you need to have a thesis proposal for pre-application? 

I'm interested in public policy and international relations. In my undergrad I focused on US-China relations with a lot of study on environmental politics and NGOs (US, China and globally). So what program would you suggest for that? I am willing to put the pedal to the metal to hit HSK 6 and study in Chinese. I should be HSK 5 by July. 

Sorry in advance for the copypasta--I'll be posting this message in several uni threads because I'll be applying to Tsinghua, Fudan and Peking University. 

Why don't you try Nottingham? They have a campus in Ningbo.

If you are looking for a good university, Nottingham is the best when it comes to politics and China studies. If you are in China you can try to visit all of them and talk to faculty. 

http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/admissions/international/pg/masters/fees-and-scholarships.aspx

http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/admissions/international/pg/phd-programmes/phd-scholarships/phd-scholarships.aspx

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. I'd prefer to study in Shanghai or Beijing(first choice) because it's easy to get to Nanjing where my friends are and I have friends in Beijing. That does seem like a silly reason, but it's important for me to stay in contact with the people I care about. I also know someone involved with Fudan. But University of Nottingham seems pretty awesome :) How is Ningbo? 

I haven't been to Ningbo yet.

I also have a friend at Fudan, she is a PhD student there, one of the few international students. The thing about Fudan is that it is not in the center of Shanghai. Therefore, it makes little difference for you whether you live there or in Ningbo, Ningbo is also connected by high-speed rail to other cities. You can check if there are trains from Ningbo to Nanjing.

Nottingham is great if you want to do research in the relationship between China and the U.S., or if you are interested in the social sciences and China. Even if you study at a fully Chinese university, you might end up reading works by Notthingham scholars.

Fudan and Tsinghua are good options if you really want to improve your Chinese, you will be forced to haha. You should know more about the people there before you apply.

Uh... Fudan is certainly closer to the center of Shanghai than Ningbo. I often rode my bicycle for ~20 minutes to get downtown, it's not far at all...

But Fudan is somewhere it will be difficult to improve your Chinese as they segregate the international students. If you can find a university that will let you live with the Chinese students, that will probably help more.

Uh... Fudan is certainly closer to the center of Shanghai than Ningbo. I often rode my bicycle for ~20 minutes to get downtown, it's not far at all...

Ah ok, the last time I owned a bicycle was 20 years ago  :P