Chinese-Forums

Fudan University

roddy

@Huina

I just got finished with applying for a masters at Fudan. Here is what I can tell you:

1. Fudan doesn't to pre-admissions. Applications for 2015 graduate students started in December of 2014. They normally require you to get accepted first before you can apply for a scholarship through them.

2. I got accepted to my program around the end of March and had a week to send in my materials to apply for the Fudan special scholarship, which I guess I'll have to wait a few more months to get the results on. (And going to have to hope I get because it's going to suck having been accepted and then not being able to go because of money...)

3. For the application you need a research plan. I gave in-depth plan on what I wanted to do my first year. It should be in Chinese if you are going to be doing your masters in Chinese. I also wrote a personal statement about my research focuses, etc., but it's not necessary.

4. If you are doing the Guobie scholarship, I would suggest applying first to Fudan when they open apps, then applying to Guobie, and then sending them an admissions letter/proof of getting admitted after Fudan sends it to you.

5. Fudan only requires HSK 5 for masters (but you need to have above a certain score I can't remember what it is). I'd say work on your general Chinese skills and not worry about HSK 6. No point in wearing yourself out trying to jump a whole HSK level in 6 months.

P.S. I have a friend doing his PHd in International Relations in Tsinghua (doing it in Chinese). He doesn't like it at all, but his biggest complaint, which I feel is important to keep in mind, is that because international relations and public policy both touch on some very sensitive issues, there is going to a lot of things that professors can't or won't discuss. That will be true anywhere in China, but especially true in Beijing, where things are much more strict. Keep that in mind.

If you have any other questions I can try to answer. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Hello,

I will most likely enter the non-degree Chinese language course at Fudan this autumn. Is the semester starting date out yet? I couldn't find any information on that, but I guess registration will be on Mo, Sep 07, can anyone confirm this?

Also, I would like to know the time period when I can move into the international students dorm, so that I can start looking for flights. I would prefer to arrive in Shanghai sooner rather than later, in order to get settled in before university starts.

I hope someone could help me with my questions. :)

• Like 1

Just to add my two cents: Fudan doesn't accept international students to study law in chinese anymore. I called them many times, went there to ask (I ony asked for master's degree), and even if you are HSK6 you cannot apply for a master's degree in law taught in chinese. They told me it is because the very few international students (all koreans) that applied finally failed because their chinese was not good enough. So Fudan decided to clause the application last year. Instead, they encourage students to apply for for the LLM in chinese law taught in english...which costs 220.000 yuans per year, what a suprise! But clearly, there is no point in following such a degree (especially when you know that all the students that applied last year have be taken...). 

I'm very disappointed about Fudan as I thought that this university was very "international". But actually it seems like Fudan doesn't like to mix chinese students and foreigners and prefers to create separate degrees. What a pity.

• Like 1

@Aphorisme

That's unfortunate...

Is it really 220.000 a year? That's an insane price. I'm doing Classical Chinese Lit. and price is 26,000 per year. I know that English programs have inflated prices to take money from foreign students, but being almost ten times the price is absolute insanity.

It's ridiculous that they don't allow students to apply for the Chinese law program, seeing as nothing else is off-limits. 

• Like 1

I have no idea about the law master's, but certainly many of the foreign undergraduate law students are/were Korean.

I did an undergraduate degree in medicine together with the Chinese students. The fees were 42000 yuan per year. There is also an English language medicine degree, with fees above 70000 per year (I can't remember the exact figure), but from what I've heard, many of the teachers deliver the classes in Chinese anyway.

• Like 2

To come back to my question from #42 and the reply from #43:

Yes, I read that too. But there will certainly be an earliest possible move-in date, as they need the rooms for summer school students etc. So, is it possible to move in, let's say, two weeks prior to registration?

Shouldn't you just try booking a room through the online portal for a move-in date of two weeks prior? I moved in a week before registration, but I'm sure there were students who were already there before me. You will need to pay for the extra days though.

Heya!

Is anyone else applying for the international summer session this year? I got accepted and am currently trying to sort out course registration etc.. It would be a lot nicer/easier/helpful, if I knew someone else applying for the same thing :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I applied for the scholarship at Fudan for master's degree in the International relations. I got enrolled on the 10th of April. The deadline for the scholarship was on the 6th, so I wrote them and asked, if I can send my docs for the scholarship. They said, that I should do it as soon as possible, so, I assume, they excepted my application, but I still don't know what to expect from Fudan, this university is quite unfriendly in the 手续 questions :/

I got accepted on the 1st of April and then mailed off my scholarship app material. 

I called them and they said that they had received it, since then there has been no news at all.

Have you heard anything at all? Also...has your status on the CSC website changed or is it still application submitted?

I'll post here if I hear anything on my end.

• Like 1