Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2013 General Discussion

Brian US

Hello!

I must say that this forum is the most informative page to get information about CSC scholarship....I have been looking for appropriate info all over the internet but majority of my answers were here....u guys r doing a great job..:)

Thanks laot for all tht...really appreciated...

i still have one confusion though......i am doing B.E mechatronics engineering and i will graduate in july..but my courses r already finished and the graduation project is left now...i want to apply for masters degree schoalrship for 2013.....but this is what cnfuses me.....

it has been written on some univerity websites tht you CANNOT apply for masters degree in 2013 if u r graduating in 2013....some say that u need atleast a year's gap between your bachelors and maters applying time...i also read that if we r in china we must apply for distinguished internatioanl student's scholarship...

plzzzzzzz if anyone can tell me which one of it is true?can i apply for 2013 masters scholarship if i will graduate in 2013?

I am considering applying for the scholarship to pursue a Masters in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other Languages (MTCSOL). I have two questions. First, I am using the online app and I am trying to select my major in the proposed study section. I cannot find it. Under the "Education" discipline there are many many majors, but nothing related to teaching Chinese. What can I do? Second, my Chinese ability is still only fair. I am not currently qualified to enter the program (I believe they require an HSK 6). I would need to study Chinese for a year at the university to achieve this. Do I still qualify for the scholarship program in this case?

• New Members

@Hexagon

Please also comment on my post ???? :)

"Hello guys!

I applied for the CSC Scholarship at Harbin Institute of Technology for 2013/2014 intake. And in their VIII Approval and Notification Sectiojn of their application infromation, they stated that "The final result of whether to admit or not will be declared no later than January 15, 2013", and i havent received anything as of today the 15th of January. Does this mean i am unsuccessfull? Or does anyone know how i can check whether i have been picked or not? Do they inform those that havent been selected?

i will appreciate your comments ..."

@Chaiwa

Please also comment on my post ????

"Hello guys

I applied for the CSC Scholarship at Harbin Institute of Technology for 2013/2014 intake. And in their VIII Approval and Notification Sectiojn of their application infromation, they stated that "The final result of whether to admit or not will be declared no later than January 15, 2013", and i havent received anything as of today the 15th of January. Does this mean i am unsuccessfull? Or does anyone know how i can check whether i have been picked or not? Do they inform those that havent been selected?

i will appreciate your comments ..."

Is there any people you know who didn't receive any emails as you?

Practically if they said they will notify the result to everybody by email, they always do.

Successful students may have to confirm it for just a few days.

So try to call them to get the answer immediately in order to reserve your rights.

I chose Chinese Language Student from the drop down box on the Language Proficiency and Proposed Study Page. What should I be choosing under disciplines and major?

I think it's under literature? We talked about this a couple years ago and no one really knew, so try to pick something that is close to language?

is there a difference between Chinese Government Special Scholarship Program-University Postgraduate Program and Chinese Government Scholarship Program ? there are two seperate programs ? can I apply for both of them ? ( I know I can be awarded with only one)

Where are you seeing these? The application listed here should just be for CSC.

After we fill the online application form, and download it, do we have to send any email to the government/ embassy/ school with this application as the attachment?

Some places give out the scholarship for just filling out the online application, but to play it safe you might want to send a physical copy of the application to the Chinese embassy in your home country.

Also for the "agency number" if we fill it by the university number, that means we only apply for the particular university, can we apply to other university using the same account in CSC?

You should be able add two other schools. The agency number will just automatically fill out your first choice.

Hello everyone,i am frm Nigeria,i dnt have the agency code for china embassy in nigeria,can I use any of the universities code.

Yes.

How many schools can i apply directly,I mean maximum number of Schools..

As many as you want.

And if i apply through Embassy,can i still apply schools directly?

Yes. The CSC says you shouldn't, but I think it should be fine.

China government Scholarship and China/AUN (ASEAN University Network) secretiast is same ?Can i apply Both?It make me get more chance or more bad?

Not sure, the CSC is the main organization that governs many other scholarships like the Confucius Institute. Shouldn't be a problem applying to both though.

I selected "Chinese Language Student." However after that there are two more required drop down menus titled "Disciplines" and "Majors."

Your guess is as good as mine. We talked about it a couple years back and decided to try and pick the most relevant major, possibly Chinese literature or something?

I cannot open the application form. I've been trying to open it but it won't. Where else can i get the application form?

The website is often not responding. I suggest you keep trying and send in a physical application.

@DrRaymond

You can try applying directly to schools, but it really depends on their connection with the central government's scholarship programs or if they are simply willing to take on international students. Sending to the CSC directly has the benefit that they will send it to more than just your top three choices, so more options.

If I am admitted for the scholarship to the language course, will I still have to start from the beginning?

No, most schools give you a placement test. Each semester you can test into a higher level or (like me) take the same semester (level) over.

My second question is whether I actually have to apply to the universities separately or do I just have to apply to the scholarship and they will contact the University?

The CSC will contact schools for you, which include schools outside your top three choices.

So do we have to make all of these tests or doctor going to choose some of them?And what we have to attached for Laboratory Exam?Thanks for your help

You should get tested for all and attach the results, but more likely you will have to retake the tests anyway when you get to China.

1. The website did not state that undergraduate students need letters of recommendation. Should we have them anyways? If so, who should they be from? (Our current teachers, only the teachers of our current required courses, the teachers who are in charge of the international students, language teachers from past years, teachers in the US?)

Letters wouldn't hurt, they probably won't read them so it can be from anyone.

2. For the foreign physical examination form, I had it done when I went home over the summer and then gave it to the school when I registered in the fall. They gave me the official paper, but then the visa place took it when I extended my visa (they wouldn't take a copy). Can I get a new one with the same physical documents? If so, where?

Contact the place you got the physical exam? You may need to get another physical exam if you don't have copies.

3. How should I get my high school diploma notarized or made official?

A sealed envelope will do, they aren't that picky. Just make it "official" with stamps and using the schools official letterhead/envelope.

How many Universities can I apply?If I apply Sun Yat_Sen University,serial choice is Sichuan and Tianjin..So if I send to Sichuan university,should I submit another application and should write first choice is Sichaun,serial Sun Yat send uni and tianjin? I don't Understand and I am not clear..Anyone who knows pls help me!!

The CSC says no, but I don't think it is a problem to apply to other schools.

"The final result of whether to admit or not will be declared no later than January 15, 2013", and i havent received anything as of today the 15th of January.

Try contacting them, I have lost all faith in "official deadlines" in China.

I'll try to follow up on the rest of the posts tomorrow.

Hey all,

Last year, I'd received admission to a graduate program at a top Chinese university and then decided to separately apply for the CGS scholarship.

I prepared all the requisite materials and decided to send them directly to the Chinese university, as I was advised to do by my graduate program. I thought this was give me a leg up because I would avoid the bureaucratic nightmare of having to send my materials to the Chinese embassy in the U.S.

I also wasn't sure if my local Chinese consulate would process my submission since none of their staff ever answered my calls or responded to the voicemails that I'd left. Plus, no information was posted on the consulate's website.

I also wasn't certain if I'd have to apply to the embassy in D.C. directly or if I would have to first apply to the consulate responsible for my geographic region and then hope that not only would the consulate process my application but also select it as a finalist and perhaps forward it onward to the embassy for further review, with the expectation that the embassy would then select my application as a 'national finalist' and then forward my materials to the CSC in Beijing for final review.

In sum, I was hoping to review this sort of bureacratic mess and uncertainty, especially given the unclear nature of the global CSC application process.

Therefore, I applied directly to the university's international relations department....which turned out to be a big disappointment! The school's staff over the course of 3 months never responded to confirm that it had received and processed my application. I didn't want to pester them about my application but I'd write to the international relations office once per month with no response...the moral here is that calling may work better!

Anyway, after 3 months, my graduate department contacted the IR office and discovered that, um, well...nothing! The IR office 'claimed' it had shared my application with the CSC and that I had not been selected as a finalist but the timing of this announcement and the fact that my graduate department almost immediately (within the next 30 minutes) informed me that I'd been awarded a municipal government scholarship (a likely consolation prize) leads me to think that the university in question basically fumbled the application after receiving it. Other foreign applicants who had also applied directly to this university also faced the same issue...silence from the university and uncertainty about whether their applications were actually ever processed and shared with CSC.

Unfortunately, due to personal issues, I wasn't able to start my graduate program in China this year so I applied and received a deferral until next year.

Therefore, I'm re-applying to the CSC Graduate Scholarship this year. In mid-December, I visited my local consulate and was able to speak directly with the Vice-Consul for Education on the spot, without an interview. This individual explained the process to me: basically, each consulate has its own separate pool of applicants. All applications that are complete are forwarded to the CSC in Beijing for final determinations.

Unlike as I had previously thought was the case, the Chinese consulates in the U.S. do not select candidates for forwarding to the embassy for a final review. Ifan application is complete, the consulate keeps a copy of the application and mails the official one on to Beijing. I was also told that one does not need to submit two official copies of the transcript or the letter of the recommendation. One letter of recommendation is fine, as the consulate will photocopy it to add to the file. Unofficial copies of the transcripts are also acceptable for the file that the consulate will keep.

Other consulates/diplomatic missions in other countries may operate differently but I hope the above information sheds some light on what I've experienced. This year, I'm going to submit via the consulate, which I trust will actually forward my materials on to Beijing, as was likely not the case with the Chinese university that I applied directly to last year.

Finally, as a Korean speaker who is pursuing a dual degree between a Korean and a Chinese university, I've also applied to the Korean Government Scholarship Program, which has much clearer and more uniform regulations. There are some other minor differences between the two progams but they are beyond the scope of this thread.

In summary, let me wish you all the best but please remember that this CGS Scholarship Program is just a crapshoot so just view it as something worth applying to but don't place too much emphasis on it. If it works out then fine but if not, there's still other monies out there worth exploring and applying for at the municipal, provincial, and enterprise level in China.

Best of luck to all!

• New Members

hi all, I'm new here, I'm very grateful that I find this forum. I'm 25, an Indonesian. I've already obtained my bachelor's degree in dentistry here in Indonesia as well as my D.D.S title, so I'm already a dentist. Is it possible for me to apply a master degree in China's uni with major other than dentistry?

Thank you.

someone plzzz help me with my question too.....

i also have another question,,,,i have only one notarized copy of my highest diploma back from home,,,,it is offically stamped and is also a photo copy woth coloured stamp...will it work if i make coloured print outs of that and use them??

I cannot open the application form. I've been trying to open it but it won't. Where else can i get the application form?

Sometimes the online application is down for a couple days, so try again. Not sure on another way to get the .pdf or .doc form if you need it.

@pls help to me...Can I ask 1question? I am trying for CSC for Mater Degree..I have finished preparing for the documents to send..I want to know is only sending documents directly to CSC through embassy?Is that that simple?I mean I choose 3Uni in application form..How can I know University can accept my documents..?I want to ask is do I need to send my Documents to University first or sending through Embassy to CSC council is ok? Because u write in above like that for step!!(1. You send your application to a third party representative of CSC (maybe your school).

You can send it to schools directly, but keep in mind that the CSC will send it to schools outside your top 3 as well if there is a better fit.

What is the third party representative of CSC? I don't know..Is it University?

There are a couple institutions, most famous being the Confucius Institute. Several universities have programs directly through them.

What should I do if I want to have a guarantor?

Sent.

can i apply for 2013 masters scholarship if i will graduate in 2013

Doesn't hurt too much to apply, so make sure to include your latest transcripts and try to show that you will have your degree before your studies begin.

how important are the reference letters for scholarship success???

No one really knows, but the caliber of students seems to be all over the place at most schools. I've had English undergrads that worked as janitors through school, to Harvard grads, so it all depends on the program you select and the school.

Is it possible for me to apply a master degree in China's uni with major other than dentistry?

Yes, just go through the online application and they list all the majors available.

i also have another question,,,,i have only one notarized copy of my highest diploma back from home,,,,it is offically stamped and is also a photo copy woth coloured stamp...will it work if i make coloured print outs of that and use them??

Yes.

We need to send our pics with application but there a few different kind of them

from side (profile pictures), from front, three-quarters etc. which ones are acceptable?

Use passport photos.

should the reference letter come from the professor who taught at college or any professor?? in this case, the faculties who taught me at post graduation are experts in the field and they dont hold professor title. what should i do now??

Hi US Brian!

I want to apply for the CSC to study Chinese language at Tsinghua University. I studied at Tsinghua's Chinese language program last year, so I am familiar with applying directly to a Chinese university, but not as a CSC applicant.

If I apply for the CSC, should I still apply directly to Tsinghua University? Or do I just submit the CSC application, and if I am awarded the CSC scholarship, I should expect them to send me the necessary document (admission notice, Visa form, housing information) that would normally be sent by Tsinghua?

I plan to apply for the CSC in a couple of weeks. (I am a U.S. applicant)

Thanks!

• Like 1

btw , i have 2 more questions,i am currently 4th year student and will be graduated in june(i will take a statement from school that which explain my condition),so do i need to send my high school diploma with documents ? Secondly, do we have to send 2 copy of recommandation letters from professors and labarotary test results from hospital ? thanks

Where are you applying from? Brazil, it seems like I'm the only one around here.

Are you currently in China? Unfortunately, not.

What did your local state embassy say? I couldn't reach them yet, it seems like no one answers the phone.

Where and how did you get your papers notarized?I didn't get them yet, I'm still looking for a place to translate from Portuguese to English.

Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? I was thinking about it, but after reading the older threads, I think it's better to wait.

Where did you get your Physical Exam done? I'm going to see a doctor this friday, I hope I won't have any trouble with that, I'm just unsure about the blood test, it'll probably be in Portuguese, in my language negative/positive is negativo/positivo, so, should I translate it too?

Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about?Not yet.

Any hiccups you had to work through? I'm still waiting for one of my former teachers to send me a recommendation letter, he's in Germany now, so, I think he's a bit busy. Am I wrong or I read that it can come from other people too? I already have one, just need to be hand signed.

• New Members

Hi guys!

I have read every post in this forum (at least I think so ;) and I have a problem or rather a concern that nobody seems to share with me.

I am doing my Master Degree in Beijing (in English) as a CGS awardee. I am graduating this summer in July 2013. BUT I want to stay in China and study Chinese language.

I would like to apply for another CSC scholarship but I don't know if I am eligible. It is not specified anywhere that I can not do so. It is only said that you cannot have both. But my concern is that at the time of application I will still be a CSC scholarship awardee. The scholarship name is the same but type of scholarship is different (Master degree vs. Chinese language).

The consulate in my country is totally worthless, they do not know ANYTHING. And the embassy is not helpful either. Also I am seriously considering applying directly to the university because as far as I know, there are only 10 scholarships available for a 38mln people country. No chance...

Do you think I can still apply?

Thanks for your help!

Shirou

• New Members

Hello everyone,

I am getting my medical tests done early, but I was wondering what the list of tests were that I had to get? I am also unable to open the application form, but I was wondering whether someone could give me a list of tests. Or is it just general stuff, like having a receipt that I have an overall clean bill of health, or is there actually some blood tests I have to do?

thank you.

Felix