Chinese-Forums

The Hong Kong Visa Topic

ChTTay

China wants tourists, just not people who get 10 tourists visas and who could potentially be doing other stuff than being a tourist while in China.

That's exactly what I worry about every time I apply, even though I am applying in the US instead of in Hong Kong.

Uff. I am going to HK this Saturday (14th), and I'm really curious about what will I get. My passport is full of tourist visas, as I used to come here often to visit my girlfriend. Then I moved to Shanghai this August, lived two months on tourist visa, found an unpaid internship, for which I got two months X2 visa in Kuala Lumpur - that's the one which is valid until Saturday 14th. I was trying to extend it, but was told (in Shanghai) that this is wrong visa for internship, unextendable without proper school papers.

1. I can get invitation letter from the company I intern at. Do you think it is better to let them invite me for internship, or for business? Should it be in English or Chinese?

2. Do I have to provide transportation tickets? Insurance documents? Anything else?

3. Is it actually possible to apply directly at the office (as they say that you can only apply if you have HK ID card) or is it necessary to use an agent?

I actually wrote an e-mail to them and they answered, however, I didn't state how many visas there are in my passport, which seems to be quite important.

Question (to fmcovisa_hk@mfa.gov.cn):

My nationality is CZECH. I will go to China to do 6 months unpaid
(unsalaried) internship. I will apply for M or F visa.

1. How long validity, duration of stay and number of entries can I get?

2. Is the express or rush service available for me?

Answer:

1.You can apply 1 or 2 entries,and can stay 30 days.

2. Czech passport no express or rush service.

@ hydrandt

I hate to be the barer of bad news, however I believe you'll be stuck in Hong Kong unable to get a visa from the Chinese Embassy. I'm unsure about agents as they might be able to get you a visa by posting it to another country.

I'd contact them again, I believe your tourist visa limit resets every year, which is in about 19 days. If you still have time on your current visa it may be worth waiting. So check with the consulate in Hong Kong first and tell them of your visa history.

I'm not sure of the exact details and reset times.

However, I believe you're able to change from an L-Visa to an F-Visa on the mainland, unless the current L-Visa is an extension of an old visa. F-Visa is in theory the visa you should use for an unpaid internship.

• Like 1

• New Members
NOTaChinese ThanksGod

Chinese Visa In Hong Kong application denied,

Reason: Apparently they thought I visited China for too long.

I got a first Tourist visa L for 2 months, then got 2 renewals in Beijing, total time 4 months.

I left China and came back after 3 months with a 2 months tourist visa L.

Got an extension for 15 days.

Went to HK, with an invitation letter and all the paperwork in order, still the consul explained to me with a very poor English that "I visited China for too long" ?????? no other logic explanation was given to me. I was adviced to apply from my country of origin. 

There was another guy from Sweden, He lived in China for 4 months learning Mandarin, wanted to go back to practice it for 2 months. visa denied. 

I'm kinda glad I'm not going back, only reason I wanted to go back is because my BF works over there, Personally I can't stand the pollution and the lack of freedom. 

• Like 1

Hey guys. I posted on here before. Some of you know my history.

Anyways back in Australia now. Just got a 6 months multiple entry tourist visa from

Australia. Had no chance from Hong Kong.

I used an agent. Cost 280 Australian dollars.

She said next time she could get me 1 year visa.

I suggest going home to your country I know it's not easy. But it's better than

dealing with that shit in Hong Kong.

• Like 2

Yeah but it beats going to Hong Kong every month or even 2 weeks and not knowing what's going to happen. Weather or not theyll even give you a visa. The last time I went they said after this month runs out and you come back we might be able to give you 2 weeks if you do this and this.... And it wasn't certain. It's like they were slowly pushing me back to Australia. But it worked out well in the end. I should have taken the hint.

Yeah but it beats going to Hong Kong every month or even 2 weeks and not knowing what's going to happen. Weather or not theyll even give you a visa. The last time I went they said after this month runs out and you come back we might be able to give you 2 weeks if you do this and this.... And it wasn't certain. It's like they were slowly pushing me back to Australia. But it worked out well in the end. I should have taken the hint.

mandarinocks's experience with lying on the form and getting 6 months sounds like what i know of hk visa offices

it used to be possible to get 12 months like that too... is it very different now? i don't know

does it help or not if you... look half-chinese? speak mandarin? have a chinese name?

• 2 weeks later...

Date of application:
31 December 2013

Nationality:
Australian

Visa applied for
Z-visa, which was granted. 

Consulate or Agency:
Consulate

Documents required:
I originally was very confident that I had all the documents I needed to apply for the Z-visa. I brought with me:

* My passport

* Photocopy of the passport photo page & most recent Chinese visa

* Certificate of Health Examination (健康检查证明书) (original & copy)

* Working permit (外国专家来华工作许可证)(original & copy)

* Invitation Letter of Duly Authorised Unit (邀请确认函)(original & copy) 

* Name List of the Invited (被邀请人员名单)(original & copy)

* Completed visa application form, which I had downloaded from the official website

(Note that the invitation letter specifically said to go to Hong Kong, and was issued in Kunming, Yunnan).

However, once I made my way inside, I was told I had the old application form, and had to fill out a new one. That was okay, I just copied over relevant information. But why they don't take the five minutes to upload the new form to the website, well, I'm sure there are wiser people than I who can explain...

After presenting my new form, I was given a number, and didn't have to wait too long to be called, probably within 5 minutes. Once I got to the counter, I was told that I was still missing some documents:

* An invitation letter from the employer/company itself

* The company's business licence (sorry, I forget the exact wording for this one, I think it is simply "business licence")

Thankfully, after sending an SMS or two to my employer, they were able to scan and email these documents to me that afternoon, which I then printed out at a nearby print shop. Once I had these, I was able to submit the visa application.

Cost / Service:
I paid 500 HKD for rush service (next business day pick-up - there is no same day service at all). This was made up of the application fee at 200 HKD and the fee for express processing at 300 HKD.

Reason for application:
English language teaching at a private language school. 

Previous Visa History:
Two L-visas for short stays of two weeks each in 2005, then 2008 (these two are in my old passport). Then, from February 2012, an X-visa, followed by three residence permits for the purpose of study, each a duration of six months. Finally, a double-entry L-visa (60 days each entry), of which I used both entries between the period of 31 October 2013 to 30 December 2013. 

Problems:
No real problems, but a few comments. I asked if my employer could email or fax the missing documents directly to the consulate, and was told no, they would need to send them to me for me to print out myself, and then bring back to the consulate. Not exactly a problem, but somewhat inconvenient, especially when time is tight. 

Suggestions/comments:
First, although I've seen other people talking about the grumpy staff, I actually found the counter staff to be very friendly and efficient - maybe I was lucky? Bring some change/money with you, in the event you need to make photocopies, print things out etc. I found a print shop nearby, right near one of the MTR entrances, but I can't remember which one (sorry!) I used my phone to forward the emails to the print shop, and then printed out the documents (at 10 HKD a page! But I was in a hurry). The day I applied, I arrived outside the building around 1 pm, and there were already 10 people in queue, a lot more once it got to opening time at 2 o'clock. Having said that, when I went back around 4:30pm, there were only a few people, and I submitted the application within just a few minutes. Picking it up in the morning didn't take long either, even though I'd got there after 9 am. However, this was all probably just good luck. Still try to arrive early! Finally, although it's been said already, remember to bring a pen (or three)! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Date of application:
February, 4th, 2014

Nationality:
Kingdom of Morocco

Visa applied for
Z visa. Granted.

Consulate or Agency:
Consulate

Documents required:

- My passport

- 1 picture

- My entry slip to Hong Kong. Note that HKG customs do not stamp passports. They issue what they call a "landing slip" instead. Make sure you take this one with you because the consulate might ask for it. They did for me.

- The completed visa application. You can download the latest version (2013) from the Commissioner's Office website.

- Working permit provided by my employer

- Invitation letter provided by my employer stating the application location as Hong Kong . Typically, before issuing the invitation letter, your employer will ask you where you'd like to apply for your visa. I said Hong Kong.

- A copy of all the above.

I also carried with me a file that I have been maitaining for the last few years. It has my diplomas, accreditations, birth certificate...etc. Anything that I might need for my dealings with an administration. Just in case...

Reason for application:
University professor

Previous Visa History:
A 6 months student visa. I have studied Chinese language for 1 semester prior to getting this job.

Problems:
No problem at all. Here is how it went. I walked in on a Tuesday at 16:00. There was no queue. I went straight to the 3rd floor. An employee from the consulate was standing by the token machine. It took him a few seconds to go through my visa application as well as the supporting documents. He then asked me to get a copy for all the documents above (including the entry slip), which I already had. He then gave me a token with a number and asked me to take a sit. 5 minutes later my number was called. I showed up at the counter. The lady working there was nice and smily. No questions asked. It took her literally less than 2 minutes to go through all the paperwork. She then asked me when I'd like to have the visa, and I replied "as soon as possible". She told me to come back the following day at 15:00 and handed over to me a receipt. She kept my passport and all the other documents, originals and copies.

Following day I showed up at the 3rd floor at 15:00 sharp. I made sure the receipt from the previous day was visible in my hand. A lady sitting at a counter at the very left waved to me. That was the Bank of China counter. She took my receipt and asked me for HKD 500. She then scanned it and stamped it and told me to go to counter 3. I went over to counter 3 and the lady there took the receipt and gave me back my passport bearing the Z visa.

Suggestions/comments:

Take with you HKD 1 coins for the consulate's copy machine in case it's needed.

There is some constuction going on around the buidling where the consulate is located. I recommend you grab a cab. It will save you time. 

Take with you your hotel reservation in HKG as well as your round trip ticket, just in case they ask for them.

Good luck !

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I came across the information below, but have trouble believing it. Get a 90 day visa in HK without having to actually go to HK (just send your passport there)? Forever Bright is one of the more reliable agents in HK though (if such a thing exists). Has anyone done something like this, send a passport to HK and get the visa mailed back? Without the relevant entry exit stamps?

For 90 days visa We can only offer 1 year multi entry business "M" or tourist "L" visas but it needs about 20 days

Following is the information of how to apply this kind of visa

To apply 1 year multiple entry visas (90 days “L” 90 days “M” visa for German passport ) the applicants should meet the followings:

(1)   Your valid actual passport ( the passport must have at least  1 year validity left before expiration and at least two blank page left in it) and your American drive license ( for USA passport only )

(2)   Two additional passport photos ( 1.5 X 2 inches white back ground color photos )

(3)   Your current Chinese visa should be either “F” or “L” type category issued from the Chinese Embassy and it is still valid and make sure that your duration of stay in China still has over (25-30) remaining days left before sending your the passport.

(4)   Provide your personal information in details required on the attached information form

Such as your home address in China ( both English and Chinese in capital letters ) your telephone numbers in China as well as your email address if you have.

Remark: the address you provide should be completely and correctly because after the visa has been issued we will send by express to the address you provide.

Application process for 1 Year multiple entry visas

(1)     First applicant should settle the visa fee by transfer from mainland China to our account in Hong Kong. Attached please find our bank account number (This payment  can be refundable after reducing the bank service charge if visa is rejected)

(2)     Then send his /her passport with two photos together with the bank receipt and all the information required on the attached form to our office by mail or express.

(3)     Visa processing takes (20-23) working days from the day we receive your passport.

(4)     After the visa has been issued we will send your passport to the address you provided

(5)     Price for I year multiple entry (L) and (M) visa is HK$7,300.00

Surcharge HK$400.00 for urgent service  (15-18 working days )

British passports also needs additional surcharge. HK$1,000.00

RemarkTime for picking up is not guaranteed sometimes earlier sometimes late

For further details please contact our staff (852-23693188) during the office hours or send email to us www.fbt-chinavisa.com.hk   (fbtravel@fbt-chinavisa.com.hk)

(alexwu@fbt-chinavisa.com.hk)

宏略旅遊貿易有限公司

Forever bright trading ltd

九龍尖東科學館道14號新文華中心B座九樓916-7

Rm 916-917,New Mandarin Plaza,Tower B, 14 Science Museum Rd T.S.T East Kowloon

tel:852-23693188     fax: 852-23122989

http://www.fbt-chinavisa.com.hk/

For 90 days visa We can only offer 1 year multi entry business "M" or tourist "L" visas but it needs about 20 days

Following is the information of how to apply this kind of visa

• 2 weeks later...

Zhouhaochen,

We had one of our teachers mail their passport back to America and used an agent to issue a new 1 year L after their Z visa was rejected after being issued (FE certificate was not issued for one reason or another, we never learned why). The time on your stamp left is critically, do not overstay. I am not recommending you use the service you listed. I am just sharing an example when the passport was mailed out of country, returned, and a successful entry/exit was completed! Good luck, and if you use the service, please do share the result!!