Chinese-Forums

Chinese meetup in Chicago

feihong

If you happen to be in the Chicago area, consider coming to the Chicago Chinese Language Meetup!

Generally speaking, we have three types of events:

• Conversation events: Occurs at least once a week. We actively enforce a "no English" rule (within reason). Usually held at a quiet bar, sometimes at a teahouse, occasionally in a restaurant. Attendance is usually around 10, although it varies by season. Most of the attendees are Westerners who are at a fairly advanced level.
  • Dining events: Occurs once a month. No language rule, so open to all participants. Usually held in Chinatown, but sometimes in a restaurant in the southern neighborhood of Bridgeport. Lately, attendance has been 10 or so, but it's partly because of major repairs to the Cermak-Chinatown light rail station that lasted several months. We've had as many as 50 people show up to these. Most of the attendees can't speak Chinese, but sometimes native speakers show up.
  • Movie events: We haven't done many of these, but going forward we'll probably have at least one per month. We have a major chain theater (AMC) that regularly shows Chinese-language movies. There are also a number of arthouse theaters and film festivals that tend to feature films from China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

I've only been hosting events for about a year, so a lot of interesting activities from the local Chinese community still slip under my radar. For example, I just found out that there's a Chinese theater group at the University of Chicago! Hopefully we'll be able to have even more types of events in the future.

If you have any questions about our meetup, feel free to reply to this post.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hey Feihong, I just found this post but this sounds like just what I'm looking for.

I recently got back from China a few months ago. I find it hard to maintain your language skills here when no one else speaks the language.

Anyways, I'm really interested in learning more about these events. If you want you can send me a personal message.

谢谢你