Chinese-Forums

Why Chinese?

roddy

@ouyangjun That's really good that you did that. I met plenty of people who'd been sent over to China for expat jobs and were just... well... English-speaking ex-pat pigs, mostly. I met one bloke who said he'd been in China for years. We were at a bar and his way of getting served was, "Hey hello, hey nihao, one more beer, nihao thank you nihao!"

What a tosser.

• Like 1

@ouyangjun That's really good that you did that. I met plenty of people who'd been sent over to China for expat jobs and were just... well... English-speaking ex-pat pigs, mostly. I met one bloke who said he'd been in China for years. We were at a bar and his way of getting served was, "Hey hello, hey nihao, one more beer, nihao thank you nihao!"

What a tosser.

Agreed.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just a lurker that joined :)  I speak many languages, but mostly all european, I'm trying to get one asian language into my curriculum as well.

I had ditched russian and started japanese, but chinese (here in Spain) is being more important here in Spain now.

Who knows if I might need it...I hardly have time to study, married man with kids...so slowly I'll try :)

Cheers,

Dirk

Hello and welcome K3nshiro, it can be difficult finding time with a busy life. One of the best bits of advice I heard for people who are busy is little and often, 20 mins - 30 mins a day is better than 6 hours on a Sunday for example,

Hope you enjoy learning chinese , enjoying learning is almost like half the work is done :)

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody!!

I am new using forums and learning Chinese. It's definately the best forum I found regarding Chinese language and culture. It has such a wide range of topics. Just love it.

So, why Chinese? I always wanted to learn a language as mysterious and attractive as Chinese. At the moment, it's a long term challenge. I want to learn it little by little with no pressure. And as ouyangjun posted: Learning Chinese would help me to differentiate myself from the others in order to get better job opportunities.

But, most of all, the main reason why I chosed Chinese, it's because of a personal motivation. I always felt attractive to Chinese culture - the characters writing, their festivities, their customs and traditions... - and I always wanted to learn more about China.  :P

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, my name is Marianna.

i have been studying Chinese for 3 years now. I was really interested in chinese culture and after my 6 months experience in Shangai I decided to keep on studying it because I want to become both a traslator and an interpreter. 

Unfortunately I had stop studying it for a while because for my M. A  dissertation, but now I want to catch it up  and try to get Hsk 5.

• Like 1

I'm 6 months into being settled as a full time English teacher in Inner Mongolia, north China. I'm fluent in reading and writing very basic Chinese, and I can read and pronounce all pinyin and tones, but I want to become much more advanced in vocabulary and grammar, so here is to learning! :D  好好学!

• Like 1

RE: Roddy! :) I have no idea how to use another comment as a quote (I'm 21 and simple technology baffles me, whoops) but to Roddy who asked how Hohhot is - it's incredible!

I've been in love with far northern China for a long time and dream-came-true I made it there. Hohhot is an amazing city but absolutely beyond belief freezing in winter, covered in ice and -28C sometimes. There is so much of Mongolian culture there too, and much more so in and around other cities of Inner Mongolia, and it is something else to behold. I love to study Chinese culture anyway, but now I can learn about amazing parts of Mongolian history and traditions too. I also realised how important 白酒 (white wine) is to a lot of Chinese or Mongolian life, (though I really cant stomach it - tastes like I'm being punched by a fireball.) Hohhot, being the capital, has probably the largest population of foreigners, but I still got my fair share (a daily constant) of staring, pointing, "外国人!" ("foreigner!") whispered near me, and secret pictures taken of me. I've been to quite a few Chinese and Mongolian weddings - mad affairs and completely different from anything I've seen before, but so much fun. For anyone travelling around China, I'd absolutely recommend Hohhot, or Baotou (a nearby city) to put on your to-see list. Also, go to a grasslands area or the Gobi desert. Worth every moment. 

Fish

• Like 3