Chinese-Forums

My Chinese progress log (Videos)

Pokarface

@imron Thanks! For a long time I used to think I was pronouncing it right. I used to think that because I was not "spitting" the "CH" sound, I was doing it right.

Using Google/Baidu translate: When I curl my tongue, my "CH" become "ZH" most of the time. When I don't, my "CH" is simply "Q"  

This is an impossible one to pull-out with my accent / pronunciation (or whatever you want to call it, haha)

知道 vs. 迟到 Zhīdào vs. Chídào = know vs. be late

I still get funny looks whenever I say I'm a, 程序員 = Chéngxù yuán = programmer (which is quite often) because of the "CH".

• 4 weeks later...

@Bigdumogre. Hi! Thanks for stopping by.

In terms of learning material: as a beginner without any experience in learning Mandarin, I found Assimil Chinese with ease Vol 1 & 2 and Colloquial Chinese by T'ung & Pollard the most helpful (note: I wasn't learning how to write or read at all back then)

As far as learning method: I like to read/listen to every book lesson 3 or more days, highlight new words that I see, write and read aloud examples using those new words as well as old vocabulary I've already learned (written in Pinyin and/or Chinese characters, and with sloppy grammar which eventually is corrected here in the forums or in real life conversations that I have) 

I also follow tips and the FLR method that Moses describes in his channel, https://www.youtube.com/user/laoshu505000

and I have read, The Third Ear by Chris Lonsdale for more learning strategies. (You can find his main points on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0yGdNEWdn0(English)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BENA8QSPmLY (speaking Chinese))

By the way, I can't write or read much   =-P

But now that I recently started reading and writing characters, I have to find an optimal way of learning these 2. I've tried a couple of stuff (Remembering Simplified Hanzi, Tuttle Learning Chinese Characters), but I'm leaning towards using this software that reads what you copy-paste in it (I forgot the name, I'll get back to you), learning how to read using New Chinese Practical Reader, review characters/compound words using Pleco and Tuttle Flashcards, and I'll probably learn how to write just by writing whatever comes to my mind countless times--although, Skritter is very popular for reading and writing but I haven't gotten a chance to try it out.

• Like 2

@陳德聰, Thanks! I try to keep smooth in front of my audience   :mrgreen:

@maomao2014, Nice, there's progress!  :P

By the way, I just saw your video on having sticky rice alcohol for breakfast. Good choice. 湖南人喜欢吃辣的菜啊  8)  

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. Right now I'm using pimsluer audio (got them from library and downloaded to phone) and NPCR. Will order those books always looking for good study materials. Right now my priority is to bring up my speaking and listening skills. I will try and learn some words along the way to and found memrise app to work great for learning how to read the word but not the best on learning how to write or speak the word.

• Like 2

@Bigdumogre. Hey! I've used Pimsleur as well for a while. If at any point during Pimsleur you feel that you can move on faster, chances are that you can! So don't be afraid to jump ahead to more advanced tracks or using other texbooks' audio lessons at the same time. I think that happens because Pimsleur is already recorded and can't "learn" how well you are understanding the material, so it plays it safe and assumes more spaced repetitions are needed.

I also used Memrise a long time ago, I felt more comfortable writing whole sentences using the vocab I was learning (but I haven't checked Memrise or Anki in a while, so chances are that there's already someone who created a deck with useful example sentences since regular people can always contribute).

Here's a short review I wrote for Tuttle Flashcards, http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/47673-tuttle-chinese-flashcards-vol-1/

You are heading the right way, listening and speaking first, so you might want to delay getting them, but they will be very useful for those seeking to learn the most common characters/compounds and how they are used (which ideally happen to be the ones used in the HSK test)。 Moreover, I like to pop them out in Chinatown and some Chinese speakers will ask me, "Oh, you are studying Chinese?"  and that's when I take advantage and practice my speaking on the spot, Lol!

If you try using a Chinese language APP on your phone, people might think you are very busy and won't bother asking, so if you are introverted and don't know how to start conversations with strangers in Chinese, having these around DOES make you more approachable.

@maomao2014.哦!Spice Girls, 真的吗? 很有意思! :P  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Guys and girls, don't forget to sing-up to, http://signup.speakupchinese.com/

for a chance to win a month of free 1-on-1 Chinese language tutoring with the instructor of your choice!

Me and 4 other lucky ones have already won! 

There will be 15 more winners at the end of February. China is enjoying Spring Festival this month, so let's be patient for the holidays to end and find out the rest of the winners  :mrgreen:

@Bigdumogre, by the way, I got an Ipad and now copy-paste phrases in Pleco so it can read them back to me. It uses Siri's Chinese default voice. You can buy additional voices as add-ons, and it's already been said by the owner of Pleco that they'll let you use purchased add-ons on both IOS and Android devices ;-)  

(however, it's easier to request this IF you first make purchases on IOS devices and then request to have this add-ons available for free on Android. The other way around, takes longer since first you'll get a refund, wait for the money to appear on your bank statement, and then make the purchase again on IOS. I'm not sure if the process has changed, but I remember reading about it).

Hi!

As has been said in the forums. Speak Up Chinese is still hosting a giveaway for free 1-on-1 Chinese tutoring online + a free evaluation and mini-lesson to determine your lesson plan.

I decided to make a video preview of the evaluation session I had with 苏海峰 (Henry Sun) 

There's only a couple of days left before the last batch of winners are selected! You could still win!

Sign-up at: http://signup.speakupchinese.com/

Can't see the video.

I am in China right now. Youtube is blocked.

I think Gmail is blocked as well. Haven't been able to access it since I arrived.

Since I most of my lessons covered basic material, I have quickly run out of things to say. LOL. I felt very out of my depth - the road to fluency and a ten minute conversation is long.

You've been lucky getting those free lessons - I haven't been so lucky.

@Flickserve, I have a YouKu account  :mrgreen:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODk4MDMwMDY4.html  

Hey, did you find an App to record voice/audio on your phone? I use Open Broadcaster to record my webchat on my laptop. I'ts open source and a lot of people use it on twitch.tv to broadcast their gameplay; obviously, since you won't be streaming anything, there's an option to save the video on your desktop instead. 

Now you'll definitely be immersed in the culture  :mrgreen: . There's no way of hiding from it.

Good luck and make the best out of it  8)

They were selecting the last winners at the end of this month. Just cross your fingers and let's hope you're selected!!  :wall

Just about to leave China when I read your post!

After trawling around, I came to the conclusion an android app doesn't exist. I need to find the Mac app for my laptop.

I can only record on my PC - can't remember the software name as I am not at home yet. An alternative is to give the instructor a piece of text and then divide into sentences later.

The last step is the anki format - I have the advanced chinese script (or whatever it's called). I am not quite sure how to get it to display english first all the time. Or then switch it to displaying chinese. Haven't had time to sort it out because of recently being busy with work and Chinese New Year.

As to immersion in China, in three days, I have heard more conversational mandarin than in six months of being in HK (outside of my lessons). I feel like a drop in the ocean.

• Like 1