Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

@aleksandrovna, yes I am, linguistics 

@roddy  not exactly, her program is pretty fancy (http://www.ghls.zju.edu.cn/chinese/redir.php?catalog_id=54680)

It's not one of those overpriced programs about Chinese culture

DongLian

You really stress out this whole FPEF :D Normally, you stamp your photo with a glue on the form, and if you didn't glue it well enough then it can get off - which makes your FPEF invalid, since they can't see your picture. Just to be on the safe side, you should let your doctor stamp not just on the second page, but on the first page as well, part of the stamp covering a little corner of your photo.

Hi everyone!

I'm really excited about my application, but pretty confused, which I guess is nothing new.

I've got one specific question to begin with, do we absolutely *have* to have an admissions letter from a university before applying? I've having a hard time deciding where I'd like to apply to.

Also, on the OP, there are some broken links.

General Information and Eligibility: http://en.csc.edu.cn...f3da38f99.shtml (READ THIS)

Online Application: http://laihua.csc.edu.cn
List of Universities: http://en.csc.edu.cn...hua/Search.aspx

These take me to 404 pages, which I assume is not the intent.

I just thought of two other relevant questions.

1) I'll be graduating at the conclusion of this semester, which is around May. Will I have a problem applying for a Master's degree program since I technically don't have my diploma?

2) I've been filling out the CSC scholarship information on Laihua, but I can't seem to find the agency number for the Chinese Embassy in the Us anywhere. Is there a list somewhere that I could look at?

Looking forward to the hype of applying for universities.

Donglian, just try to get the "ECC", X-ray and Blood report. if you get an official hospital/clinic form from your doctor saying that your X-rays are normal (without the X-ray itself) that's OK too! :) (that's what one of my classmates did)

@ Satirical No, there isn`t list of the Agency Numbers for Chinese Embassies. Ask if anyone of the members in the forum knows the Agency Number to inform you. Also you may go through the topics related to application process for 2014. I remember that some people wrote some agency numbers of the embassies and/or universities there. 

@Satirical

This pre-admission notice thing was introduced in 2013. I guess you can get the scholarship without the pre-admission notice (especially if the scholarship scheme is a bilateral one, which means that x number of students from y country must go to China), however this way you run the risk of randomness (e.g. you applied for universities in Beijing, Shanghai, etc., but due to the fact that these universities have already sent out the pre-admission notice, you can't go there and end up in Qinghai or Gansu). Therefore I advise you to attach the pre-admission notice to your application package.

You can apply for a Master's degree scholarship if you graduate and obtain your BSc diploma before Sep 2015.

US agency ref. number should be 8401 if I remember correctly from previous years.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I have two questions.

1) I want to apply as Chinese language student. When I choose it online, I then have to select a discipline (agriculture, arts, economics...) and a major. What am I supposed to choose, since I just want to learn Chinese?

2) My diploma/transcripts are not in English, can I translate them myself?

Thank you!

@ Clef Ment No, you can`t translate diploma/transcripts by yourself because you have to submit notarized translation of diploma/transcripts, translation done by a sworn court translator. 

• Like 1

@Clef Ment

Or alternatively, you can ask your university Administration Office whether they can provide you a stamped and signed transcript/diploma in English, that's fine as well (considered as a notarized copy).

• Like 2

Thank for your quick answers, I will ask my university.

Do you have any idea for my first question? I don't know what to put since I just want to learn Chinese.

Edit: I found my answer. For those who are interested:

If you apply for "Chinese language student", you must choose "Literature" as discipline and "Chinese language and literature" or "Chinese language and culture" as major.

@Satirical - IMO the pre-admissions is necessary because 1, it gives you a higher chance of being accepted for the scholarship and 2, in the event that CSC agrees to give you the scholarship, you will definitely get the university of your choice. I know that many people right now are only intersted in obtaining the scholarship, but when you find out that you got the scholarship you will then be very concerned about WHERE you'll be going, and if the student facilities in the university are up to your personal standards. Believe me, they vary greatly from one university to another, so choose wisely! For instance, if you are very sensitive to air pollution, you might want to avoid choosing universities in Beijing. That's just one example.

You can still apply for Masters even if you have not graduated from your bachelors but you need a letter from your current university stating that you are expected to graduate this year.

@Clef Ment - I applied for the CSC Chinese language scholarship 2 years ago. It is very easy to obtain, because the critieria isn't high (in fact, there is no education criteria). My biggest mistake was that I didn't apply with a pre-admissions notice and so they were the ones who selected my university. I wasn't happy so that's why I opted to accept the Confucius Institute scholarship, which I applied to in the same year. I posted my experience here on the forums.

• Like 1

Thank you friends for your input.  I wanted to see if the CSC would tell me what "sealed" meant so I just asked.
here is the emailed reply:

Dear,

A sealed photocopy means the photo on the medical form should be stamped half on the photo and the other half on the form. Medical form without sealed photo will be considered unvalid.

Your application will be considered if your medical form is valid when we are processing your scholarship application, but your school may request another physical examination after your registration.

Best wishes,

--
Ms. Wang Yucui

Project Officer
Division of International Students Affairs
ChinaScholarship Council

So it sounds like what someone said already but it's nice to hear from them.  I might do the extra 2 dollars and get it notarized even.  Yes.  I'm paranoid.  lololol
  • Like 1

@Satirical OH and about Pre-admissions.  It's very quick when you send them the stuff.. I got 2 preadmissions letters (since I wasn't sure which one I'd prefer at thetime) and will include my first choice in my CSC submission.  I sent them all the documents and got a pre-admissions letter within 3 days (or 2).

What schools are you considering?  My first 3 choices panned out to be:

1) Anshan Normal University (I really wanted a smaller city with less foreigners as I think it will supplement my language education well). 

2) Fujian Normal University (Picked 100% for the cleaner air, the only downfall to Anshan.  But it's not my first choice because it's god-awful hot and I am much more tolerant of cold than hot lol). 

3) Zhejiang University of Science and Technology (only downfall is the school is not 'in' the city so it would be hard to go out for walks to chat with locals, something I enjoyed greatly when I was in Hangzhou a few years ago)

All 3 are smaller, non-Beijing/Shanghai schools and cities which was important to me.. and all have 2 year programs, as most schools only have 1 year programs and I'm trying to get the full 2 year cap.  I also felt like choosing more off-beat cities helps chances too.. I hear Beijing/Shanghai schools are competitive!

I'm curious which schools people are choosing and why, especially those going soley for language.

• Like 2

@Satirical Sorry to spam, I just rememberd you asked about agency number.  Zhangkairong is correct it is 8401.  You kinda get "confirmation" this is right because when filling out the form on laihua, when you put the number in, it tells you for whom the number represents on the right of the box.  It should say China PRC Embassy in US or something like that.

• Like 1