Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

@aleksandrovna 

Bad news. Mr. Tang (your application will go though him) from the College of International Education said that there is no such thing as paying the remaining amount of money your scholarship won't cover. At least for Zhejiang University, if you get a full scholarship, no one will ask you to pay any money, even with the new rules

He also said that they will not give full scholarships for programs where tuition fees are too high, such as MBA and LL.M. degrees, language of instruction - English. This is too expensive for them. I am not sure if they will want to offer you a partial scholarship. If they offer you a partial scholarship, it means that you will have to pay the entire amount (150000/two years) while they give you a monthly allowance and free accommodation on campus. 

Basically, if you decide to apply, there can only be possible outcomes:

1. Rejection;

2. Partial scholarship (you pay 150000)

I have a friend, Vinay, who is studying that, LL.M. /English - Zhejiang University, the thing is, his university back in India has a partnership with Zhejiang University. In case your university has anything similar, don't worry, you will probably get a full scholarship and everything will be fine. Talk to the people in charge if this is the case. 

If not, you can try to apply for a master's degree in law taught in Chinese. You have to talk to Mr. Tang first, but the way it usually goes is like this: you get the scholarship, you come to China and you learn Chinese for one year, then you start your studies one year later. 

Are you applying through your embassy or directly at the university?

• Like 1

@ Angelina

Thank you, dear! 

Yesterday I wrote to the Office, and they send me this answer

Dear Oleksandra,

Generally speaking, if you can get the Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program of Zhejiang University, you will be exempt from tuition fee. 

And we also have Zhejiang University Scholarship, you can refer to the website for more information http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/english/type1/01032502.html

Due to generous support of university and law school, most of our students in the past have been provided with scholarships and financial aid.

Kind Regards.

Aileen YAN

As I understood they proovide full scholarship.

And now I do not know what to do and how figure out all this situation...

I am applying directly to university

@Angelina - the partial scholarship usually covers tuition fees, instead of the allowance. I know someone who is on the partial scholarship (total costs is around 50'000 rmb per year for 5 years), English programme and the government is paying. I don't know anyone on a partial scholarship who is getting an allowance instead of the tuition fees.

@DongLian - I find it interesting that you've decided to choose non Beijing/Shanghai universities. A lot of people do believe that choosing unis with very few foreigners would help improve their Chinese level more than unis with a lot of foreigners but through my personal experience, when I visited a few unis in Beijing with thosands of foreign students, they've had the best Chinese language skills I've ever heard in China. So this part is very subjective, and very based on individual experiences and ability. Your 3rd choice is quite competitive, a friend of mine applied to it last year and was rejected.

• Like 1

Thank you, dear! 

Yesterday I wrote to the Office, and they send me this answer

Dear Oleksandra,

Generally speaking, if you can get the Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program of Zhejiang University, you will be exempt from tuition fee. 

And we also have Zhejiang University Scholarship, you can refer to the website for more information http://iczu.zju.edu....1/01032502.html

Due to generous support of university and law school, most of our students in the past have been provided with scholarships and financial aid.

Kind Regards.

Aileen YAN

As I understood they proovide full scholarship.

And now I do not know what to do and how figure out all this situation...

I am applying directly to university

Well, it means that if they accept you, you will get a full scholarship and you won't have to pay anything.  8)

@Angelina - the partial scholarship usually covers tuition fees, instead of the allowance. I know someone who is on the partial scholarship (total costs is around 50'000 rmb per year for 5 years), English programme and the government is paying. I don't know anyone on a partial scholarship who is getting an allowance instead of the tuition fees.

Not at Zhejiang University, Zhejiang University Scholarship 

http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/english/type1/01032502.html

Scholarship Types

1. Scholarship Type A (Full scholarship)
- Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, and fee for basic learning materials
- Free accommodation on campus
- Monthly living allowance
- Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China
2. Scholarship Type B (Partial scholarship)
- Free accommodation on campus
- Monthly living allowance
- Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China

A lot of people do believe that choosing unis with very few foreigners would help improve their Chinese level more than unis with a lot of foreigners but through my personal experience, when I visited a few unis in Beijing with thosands of foreign students, they've had the best Chinese language skills I've ever heard in China.

Then you were lucky, but it is not the average level (at least not in Beijing/Shanghai). Yes, schools are academically better in big cities, however the language programs are not superior. Even if you attend Tsinghua or BeiDa, you will still use the same crappy textbooks that language programs use. Good universities are good for boosting your CV, though (but cross your fingers that the HR guy/girl sitting in front of you has a clue what Tsinghua/BeiDa is).

There is difference between Chinese Government Scholarship that includes 7 programs and Chinese University Program is one of them and University Scholarship that is the scholarship program offered by university and consists of full and partial scholarship and usually partial scholarship covers tuition fee and some of other items i.e. medical insurance. There is said in the Introduction to Chinese Government Scholarship that Chinese Government Scholarship is offered as full and/or partial scholarship depending on the program. Regarding Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program there is said 'this is a full scholarship' (still we are confused about covering the tuition fee).

Regarding University Scholarship sometimes the scholarship for very expensive programs covers certain amount/percentage of the tuition fee.

Because it covers to rmb 25000 for the first category. What about the rest of the tuition fee? My problem is similiar to aleksandrovna`s just my tuition fee is less expensive. I should pay extra rmb 5000. I sent email to CSC. I clearly said and confirmed that I am ready to pay extra money if I am awarded the scholarship, but that I am not clear whether there is option to apply for the program that costs above rmb 25000 and pay extra money. No response.

@Angelina Thanks for your help and encouragement. :)  :clap

http://en.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=2070

The scholarship can cover up to 34000 

Why do you have to be in the first category? I think it is given as a general rule because it is usually more expensive to study medicine than to study Chinese poetry. However, tuition fees are higher at some universities than at others. 

Because my field of study is law, included in the first category, I concluded that the scholarship will cover up tuition fee to rmb 25000 and I will pay extra money for the rest of the tuition fee. 

This is a new rule. It's better not to calculate anything on your own. They told me today that my monthly allowance will be increased after the holidays, but they were not certain about the amount, probably 3000. 

@Shuoshou and I've heared that too.. I've heared it is really more up to the individual to make the effort.  I think I should clarify and say that I think I'm thinking for my own personal strengths/weaknesses that less foreigners might be better.  And part of me wants to see what it's like to be in a smaller city.  I wonder if it's a more 'authentic' experience, especially at Anshan since it's all of 3.5M people compared to Beijing's like.. 23M. And it might not have as much international influence like Bejing and Shanghai.. I won't know for sure though until I go. 

However if I felt like it wasn't super competitive and I could feel confident I can go where I want, I might try for a bigger school if only for the convenience factor that the airport is in the city as opposed to Anshan, flying into Shenyang and then figuring out how to get to Anshan lol.  Dunno yet.. Luckily the fiance is planning to come with me the first time.

I'm just worried that I won't get the scholarship at all, which would be devastating I think..  And I didn't know ZUST was that competitive!  I already have a pre-admissions letter from them.  I would want to go there more but the school is kind of out on it's own vs being 'in town'. 

Although if I could, I would do Shanghai before Beijing, if only because my fiance is Shanghainese and I'd want to take a Shanghainese dialect elective if possible.. or at least be able to practice it. I know a few phrases already lolol so much fun.

@Shuoshuo OH and let me add that I'm trying for a 2 year program and very few schools have one that is scholarship eligible.  Most are Beijing schools I think.

1) Anshan Normal

2) Fujian Normal

3) ZUST

4) BLCU

5) RenDa

6) BeiWai (March though I think and I need Sept start)

7) Ocean University of China (seems to be confusion though since CSC site says they have the program but they emailed saying they don't??)

8) MAYBE Tsinghua. Not sure.

Sooo yeahhhh lol.  I wish there were more so I'd have more choices like with the 1 year programs but oh well.

EDIT: I forgot Guangdong University of Foreign Studies.  I don't like hot weather though so I've been really steering toward northern cities.. Fujian as the exception only because they have cleaner air and I'm mildly asthmatic.

• Like 1

So as I told you yesterday my diploma and last transcript are not in english, but I need an english version for CSC.

I contacted my university, but they told me they do not give english versions and do not want to translate them. Any idea?

I can maybe send the original documents to the embassy (which is the agency) with my CSC application so that they can translate them?

@Clef Ment

It seems your university was quite unhelpful. I don't know which country you're from, but I'm sure that universities in EU member countries should do this foreign-language transcript issuing - for some extra fee.

Then you can alternatively use the services of a translatior office - don't go to the biggest ones since their fees are ridiculously high. Find a smaller translator office. Sending your package to the Embassy without an English or Chinese transcript is a bad idea - they definitely won't translate it for you :(