Chinese-Forums

Yunnan Simple -- 炒饵丝 -- Stir Fried Ersi

abcdefg

I only know how to cook simple stuff.

Even better!  Many people would love to know how to cook simple stuff.

I imagine a basic format would just follow how you set out these posts

-trips to the market and choosing/buying the ingredients

-preparation of ingredients, pointing out useful/interesting facts (e.g. taking out seeds for less heat etc).

-cooking everything up, talking about the process as you go

-finished meal with talk about preparation cooking times, possible variations and so on.

It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just get someone to film you on an iPhone/iPad or whatever while you're going about doing all those things, do a bit of editing, and maybe do some overdubbing to get clear audio/explanations and you should be good to go.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll think it over. Would be better if I could talk one or another of my Chinese friends into being the star, and I would just film it.

I've been fortunate in finding good teachers.

Yummy. I wish I had a gas stove, I'd buy a wok and try your receipts, abcdefg (supposing I could find the ingredients). But alas I guess a wok would not get along well with my induction hobs  :nono. Or maybe I could try with a standard frying pan. What do you think? Is that anathema?

@Laurenth, I'll bet you could use a standard flat-bottom frying pan just fine. An induction cooktop is so fast and efficient. Should work well. Give it a go and let us know! 

--------------------------- 

Edit to add: Today I was in an appliance store (here in Kunming) and saw that they not only had the usual flat convection hot plates, but they also had some with a concave surface made specifically to fit a wok. Probably only available in China. (5/8/2015)

When i first saw the title for this topic I thought it said Stir Fried Ears :D

Now when ever I see the title it makes me laugh, the finished result though bears no resemblance to ears of any kind and looks delicious :)

Would be better if I could talk one or another of my Chinese friends into being the star,

There are plenty of Chinese cooks cooking on Youtube, but not so many retired western doctors living in China doing cooking on Youtube.  Getting a Chinese friend to stand in for you would arguably lose some of the character that your current posts have.

• Like 1

Follow up -- The leftovers

Next day I used most of the leftover ersi 饵丝 as an ingredient in a hearty chicken-vegetable soup.

post-20301-0-95879200-1431079556_thumb.jpg

This morning I used the rest of them with scrambled eggs and tomatoes.

post-20301-0-17544500-1431079692_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-07428300-1431079706_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-10350000-1431079718_thumb.jpg

(The paring knife is just for size. The green bits are spinach.)

• Like 1

abcdefg, tonight I tried to reproduce your 炒饵丝 receipt 8,500 km away. It ended up a bit different than in you post, though.

At noon, instead of putting on more weight at the office cafetaria, I went to the local Chinese supermarket. As I had feared, they had no 饵丝, but there was 年糕. So, as I had understood that 饵丝 basically was a kind of sliced 年糕, I purchased a pack.

263h9pv.jpg

Unexpectedly I did find a bottle of 花椒油. (While I was there, I stumbled across 泡辣椒将, so I also bought a jar to try later with bamboo shoots). I had 老抽 at home, so no need to buy.

1534h00.jpg

Now, I was supposed to be alone with the children tonight, I did not want the meal to be too spicy, so I decided to keep the red peppers but to replace the spicy greens peppers with spring onions. Why not?

i4fnzn.jpg

Also, I'd probably have no time to roast pork tenderloin, so I bought some chicken fillet instead in order to make diced chicken.

After cooking and dicing the chicken, I started by cutting the 年糕 into noodle-like things. I used scissors, as it was much easier than with a knife. Here's the result:

1zgah0.jpg

After that, I simply followed your receipt, except that I did not start with the garlic, as I known it tends to burn very quickly: I put it *after* the red peppers had begun to wilt. While the peppers were wilting, I checked the meaning of the word "to wilt" in a dictionary and I tried the 花椒油. Just. Whoa. How can I put it? Oh, yes, as you said: "it sort of numbs the back part of the tongue and makes the mouth tingle", but you have to try it to believe it.

As I'd never cooked 年糕 / 饵丝 before, I was a bit nervous, but I followed your guidelines to the letter ("add the ersi on top [of the peppers and garlic] and let them soften for a minute. Then toss it all together for 3 or 4 minutes"), and it was just perfect. Added the seasonings, diced chicken, salt, no 味精. Than added the spring onions at the very last minute.

The result:

51wrhi.jpg

3 out of the 4 kids, plus myself, really enjoyed the meal (kid #4 only ate the chicken). I opened a bottle of wonderful Bandol rosé wine. Perfect.

Thanks for the inspiration abcdefg.

• Like 3

That's great, Laurenth! So glad that it worked out well. You discovered one of the virtues of this simple food: namely that it can be modified, changed around to suit your family's taste and the local availability of ingredients. Food like this is versatile and "forgiving." Low risk of disaster.

China does have some dishes that must be made to precise specs. I call these "fussy" recipes, and don't attempt them at home. Those are ones I let a restaurant handle; I will pay for their expertise. Must remember that I'm only an amateur.

I had wondered how this dish might be with chicken. Glad to know your experience. I might use chicken next time myself. Using green onions sounds like a perfect way to tone down the spiciness.

Terrific idea to use nian gao when er kuai was not available. Good improvisation! The main difference between er kuai and nian gao is that nian gao is made with glutinous rice 糯米, whereas er kuai is made with standard white rice. So there's a texture difference. Er kuai is a little "stiffer."

Appreciate your coming back to post your experience. And congratulations for taking the chance on trying it at home!