Chinese-Forums

Good Mandarin Program For An "Advanced" Student in Taipei

fl_tw

• New Members

Hi all, I'm thinking of studying in Taipei, Taiwan (for 3 months) for the purpose of improving my Mandarin. I am an "ABC", but:

• I have previously studied Mandarin before (for over 5 years).
  • I can read, listen to and speak Mandarin.
  • My listening skills is the strongest (I can watch a Taiwanese program without the need for English subtitles).
  • My speaking and writing skills is the weakest, but my main concern is my speaking skills, sentence structure, grammar and a bit of pronunciation.
  • In other words, I can understand what the person is saying when they speak to me in Mandarin, but I cannot speak very fluently and properly convey what I wish to say to the other person (because I rarely have the chance to speak Mandarin where I live).

I've tried researching programs like NTU's CLD, NTNU's MTC, TLI, etc, but most are geared towards people with little knowledge of the Mandarin language. For example, NTU's CLD advises me to consider other programs because their courses may not be suitable given how high my Chinese vocab/knowledge is. NTNU's MTC suggests that I take one-on-one classes, which may be a good option for me, but it is more expensive than taking a class with a number of students.

I know it'll be rare to find a class with most Chinese speaking students, or students in a situation like me, but I would really appreciate if anyone would give me an insight as to which Mandarin program I can pursue.

Thank you! :)

• New Members

Presently, I'm doing 1 on 1 at ChengDa in Tainan.  If your goal is to improve as quickly as you can in those 3 months, I would be hard pressed to find someone who would say small group classes are more beneficial.  At your level you would also benefit from one on one because you would be able to gear your learning to things you find more interesting.  Things I discuss in my class range from new Tesla rockets launching into space, the Geologic time periods such as Cretaceous, Mesozoic, along with some South-east Asian politics from online magazines.  I find these much more interesting than some of the topics covered in the small group classes.  Finding a Mandarin Learning Center and doing one on one would be my recommendation.

• Like 1

• New Members

Thank you chocolatemilk for your feedback!

I have considered 1-on-1 classes, but the fact that it costs for a month cost just as much as the 3 month seasonal program does make me hesitant to sign up for them.

A search comes up with conversation classes at the Mandarin Language Center at Chinese Culture University, and something called "improvement classes" at the Chinese Learning Center at National Sun Yat-Sen University (in Kaohsiung, unfortunately) with separate conversation classes and reading classes. I don't know how these classes work with the regular curriculum, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. It looks like the Taiwan Mandarin Institute has a combo course that includes classes and 1-on-1. I don't know anything about the school, though.

• New Members

I want to study in Taipei, so now I'm considering NTU CLD's 1-on-1 lessons (even though they limit their coursework), NCCU's CLC and Wenhua University's MLC. I'm still undecided which one will suit me more. I do like the fact that NTU is more convenient, location-wise.

Thank you chocolatemilk for your feedback!

I have considered 1-on-1 classes, but the fact that it costs for a month cost just as much as the 3 month seasonal program does make me hesitant to sign up for them.

I don't think you will be able to get around that problem. It is very difficult to fit into any group class. One on one is most appropriate.

Since your listening skills are already at a good level, I reckon you will won't have any real problems picking up speaking skills. You just need to be in a situation where you are using it every day.

Find a part-time job whilst in Taipei and/or do some voluntary work. That will give you real life usage very quickly that you can take back to classes and discuss with a tutor.

• New Members

I don't think working on a visa is legal?

You might be right though. That's why I'm thinking of going to a university and participating in the their clubs and societies and hopefully learn a bit more Mandarin through that.

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

I have been studying in NTU CLD for 3 semesters now.
I just would like to say that without all your flawless advice,
I maybe in a different school right now.
For more advice from your fellow NTU CLD students,
or if you want to check out what is going on on the in’s and out’s in Taiwan for
foreigners, we do have a Facebook group that could help make your decision or
stay in Taiwan awesome! Please join us if you ever decide to choose NTU CLD.
Thank you!

Facebook Groups: