Chinese-Forums

Renting in Kunming - 2015

chinabro

Hi all,
I'll be moving to Kunming in about mid-July and am trying to get an idea of how I should approach finding a place to rent and what prices I should expect. I checked the forums but there's a lot of information from a few years ago so not sure how relevant it is now.

I'll be at Yunnan University. Since I'm an undergrad, I assume it's going to be at the Chenggong Campus.

Preferably I'd like to find a single apartment - One bed, private toilet, access to broadband. 15 mins walk to campus
Ability to cook and air-conditioning would be a bonus but not totally necessary.

I'd also be willing to have housemates if it means I get my own private room. But I'd rather not share a bathroom/shower etc.

I had a look at GoKunming, although since it's targeted at foreigners it does seem a bit pricey and the locations are all over Kunming. Ranges from 1200 - 2100

I'd hope to spend something like 1100 a month for single room, private bathroom and close to uni. Not sure how feasible this is.

Does anyone know any good Chinese websites to use for searching for rental properties?
If I can't find one online, I'm willing to stay in a hostel etc until I find a place with an agency. But there's always the fear I'll get foreigner fees, so I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks for any information you guys can give me

• Like 1

If I can't find one online, I'm willing to stay in a hostel etc until I find a place with an agency. But there's always the fear I'll get foreigner fees, so I'd like to be prepared.

Do it this way. Forget about finding a place on-line. And you will pay foreigner prices. No way around that.

Preferably I'd like to find a single apartment - One bed, private toilet, access to broadband. 15 mins walk to campus

Ability to cook and air-conditioning would be a bonus but not totally necessary.

Air conditioning isn't needed (and isn't available) in Kunming. You can tell real estate agents you are looking for a 单人房。

Does anyone know any good Chinese websites to use for searching for rental properties?

Some of my Chinese friends use this one: http://km.58.com/zufang/

I'll be at Yunnan University. Since I'm an undergrad, I assume it's going to be at the Chenggong Campus.

You need to get this nailed down ASAP. Chengong is an hour outside the city. None of your research will have any meaning until you know which campus you need to be near.

• Like 2

I'm still waiting on a reply from the person I'm in contact with at Yunnan. It's been a slow correspondence. But I've heard Chenggong is where all undergraduates study. Old campus is for post-graduates only. So for now I'll base things off this info.

Thanks for the website 'abcdefg'. It's been pretty handy. Seems like there are decent places from 600 - 1200. At least I'll know to aim for something in this range.

http://au.58.com/chuzu/

This website was also pretty helpful - although they both have different availabilities.

Anyway, they are MUCH cheaper than the things suggested on GoKunming.
I'm actually also considering just renting a double dorm room in the university if they allow that. Would only be 9000RMB for the whole room for a year which is pretty decent.

Very happy to hear air-conditioning isn't needed. Exactly what I'm looking for from this city.

I'm not sure if you've been to the Chenggong district, but do you know if it has everything that the main city would have?

In terms of restaurants, shopping, cinema - are these things around Chenggong or would I need to take a 1 hour trip? (assuming by metro)
I suspect restaurants and shopping should be okay but would be nice to hear that there is a cheap cinema nearby.

I've been out to Chenggong, but not within the last year. And you are right about it now being connected to the center of the city by an efficient metro.

Can't tell you what facilities are there and which ones aren't. But I know that it has developed fast. Someone on GoKunming might know. (It's not a very good forum and you will always get some flack from idle smart aleks no matter what you ask. But still, it might be worth a try.)

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I'll be moving from main city to Chenggong halfway through my course. So I guess I'll get to see both parts of the city.

My university contact at YunDa said they don't normally allow people to stay in non-uni accommodation. Especially in Chenggong since it's “不太安全".

I can only speculate as to what she means by this. I can't tell if it's just a way for them to force me to pay for accommodation or there are actually issues in the area.
A friend in another city, Wenzhou, mentioned there were some shifty landlords who seemed to target foreigners. Giving the keys of your apartment to outsiders and getting them to break in and steal things.
I'm not sure if that is just an isolated problem or if it's prevalent throughout China.

@abcdefg
Since you have lived there for so many years, have you ever encountered any problems like this or heard of anything similar?
I'd be willing to stay in a dorm if it meant I didn't have to worry about my stuff being stolen. But would be good to know if the problem actually exists.
Thanks again

Giving the keys of your apartment to outsiders and getting them to break in and steal things...Since you have lived there for so many years, have you ever encountered any problems like this or heard of anything similar?

I've never heard of that or encountered it myself. And I haven't heard any rumors or scuttlebutt about Chenggong being generally unsafe.

(Disclaimer: There are bound to be lots of scams and other problems of which I'm ignorant. Even though I've lived in Kunming several years, I'm by no means an expert.)

Apparently I'll be moving from main city to Chenggong halfway through my course. So I guess I'll get to see both parts of the city.

I think that's a good thing. The main city is surely more fun.