Chinese-Forums

Drive Enduro in and out of China

arreke

Me and my friends are planning to buy Japanese Enduros in Hong-Kong and drive it all the way from Hong-Kong to Kazakhstan through China. It's about 8000 km. We've got all the Visas.

Could you tell us what kind of issues we are going to face at first and what should we be prepared for ?

Interesting. A couple of years ago I was researching how one could drive a foreign licensed vehicle into China and it seemed to be a real pain - involving expensive temporary plates and tour companies and whatnot. Is this different if you have Hong Kong plates?

The problem with China is that all the international treaties that let countries drive in each other without onerous restrictions were all signed by Taiwan, not the PRC.  So it's the situation today where licenses are a big pain.

I saw travelling reports where riders from Thailand would drive to Yunnan, China and back through Laos I think, they could only enter the country with special papers and had to prove that they would leave again. They had a local guide that would organize everything for them and even then they had to wait at the border for a few hours and negotiate. So in short I think it's possible but very difficult and cannot be done without a knowledgeable Chinese helper.