Chinese-Forums

I want to study Chinese for the Fall Semester - Am I too late ?

Jonathan YueHan

Hi,

So I just decided that I want to study Chinese in a university in China for the Fall semester. I saw that some universities start as late as Sept 10th - Sept 14th and accept late applications.

Considering the fact that I apply to a uni right now and go straight to the embassy to get a (tourist?) visa, does any of you have an opinion on the following question : Would I make it or is it simply too late to think about it ?

Hi jonathan, I think that you should consider if this is a rush idea. Was it something that you were thinking for a long time and finally decided to or is it something that just came into your thoughts? If you are not sure take your time and can start at March the next semester.

Now if you are sure you still can make it. The first week of the lessons are very loose with a lot of people coming and leaving and teachers dont mark who is absent or not.At least in my university. Better use an agent to do the work for you and send you the admission letter since they use couriers not post office. They difficulty that you may face is getting a room in a dormitory since they fill up fast the first days of registration but it depends the university.Maybe in the embassy you can get an express visa(it takes only one day but costs more).Although in my country is no longer availiable this service maybe it is at yours.

Also the air tickets will be a little salty since you havent booked them a month ago or so.

I am also in a similar situation to you. I applied sunday night (30 august) to Shenzhen University and then on monday they accepted my application but they said it will take them about 30 days to get the JW202 admission notice completed and they said that late registration is ok. Can anyone confirm whether universities are able to get this JW202 admission notice done quicker?

Thanks a lot for your reply XuanWu. Yes, that's something that I have been thinking for a long time, a decade, and never had enough courage to do it. I guess that if I keep delaying it, it might never happen.

XuanWu, when you mention using an agent to do the work for me, do you mean for doing both the university and visa applications ?

• 1 year later...

Dear all, 

I am interested in studying Chinese in China from start of May to end of June this year.

Does anyone know of any program which would take me on so late in the Spring semester/a university with flexible start times?

I note CUCAS has some programs listed which start in May but CUCAS are not responding to my emails and strangely the programs on CUCAS do not match what is on the universities' websites. I am reluctant to go through CUCAS given mixed feedback in the past and the fact that they are not responding to my emails.

• 1 month later...

FYI, for people who are interested in starting a course outside the official timeline, apart from courses listed on CUCAS, Dongbei University of Finance and Economics also allows late enrollment they told me and their application deadline is after the start. Their application deadline is end of March for this semester (1 March to mid-July term dates).