Chinese-Forums

Where did you find your housing?

DachZanz

I'm looking for a new place, but really am not sure where to look.  Do you work with an agency?  SmartShanghai is really overpriced it seems for most entries.  Craigslist is down, even with a VPN.  I don't want a situation (which is what I just did) living with 4 roommates, sharing one bathroom between too many people, etc...

You could try asking around among your friends and acquaintances, checking the local expat mags and its online forums, checking message boards for students, in expat supermarkets, in foreigners' bars... I found my place through a real estate broker, but that was for an entire apartment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Frederik

I can put you touch with the agency I used if you like, but to be honest, I don't think they're any different from any other of the hundreds of agencies around Shanghai.  If you're looking for an apartment around 中山公园 or 娄山关路, my guy would be a good choice.  I found them through Chinese co-worker who has helped other foreigners find housing in Shanghai before.  

I let them know my price (undershooting the truth a bit, of course) and requirements (clean, one bedroom with kitchen and bathroom).  Got laughed at for a while, told it was impossible, persisted until he decided maybe we could go out and see something that was perfect for me.

Good luck!  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...