Chinese-Forums

European China Talent Programme

roddy

Think I posted about this last year, but can't find it. Anyway, 3 day junket to Berlin in April for anyone who fancies it. 

The Mercator Institute for China Studies (MERICS) strives to encourage European students and young graduates to deepen their engagement with contemporary China. In May 2015, MERICS invited fifteen outstanding students from all over Europe to participate in the very first MERICS European China Talent Programme. The highly selective programme covered a broad range of current topics and laid the foundation for a long-lasting and unique network of future European China experts.

Linkity link

• Like 2

Also - 4,000 character essay on one page? That's going to be hard to read...

I can see the confusion I'd expect the length of an English essay to be given in words, not characters. But maybe they do things differently on Le Continent. 

In Central Europe (including Germany), it is quite common in academia to give the lenght of essays in characters instead of words, regardless of the paper's language. Of course, there are some professors who studied at British/American universities, and introduced word-length requirements, but in most schools, the official requirements are in characters (together with an estimation of number of pages).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I sent one over. Looks like they received a fair few applications last year and I have seen it mentioned in three different places so I would expect a few hundred applications this time. Anyway, will let you know if it is positive, otherwise just won't mention it and probably will pretend I didn't apply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alas, received an email informing me that I won't be taking part this time. I know two other candidates who I thought were very strong but they too were unsuccessful. Maybe next year. 

• Like 1