Chinese-Forums

New NPCR edition

guest1234

This claims to be a sample lesson of the 3rd edition, but there is much confusion on the net with 3rd volume and 3rd edition. I am using the first edition so can't compare 2nd edition with the sample but it is completely different to my edition, full colour and everything :)

Have a look here and see what you think http://www.slideshare.net/PhoenixtreePublishing/new-practical-chinese-reader-3rd-edition-sample-lesson

Good find.

From Shelly's link, it looks completely revamped. Lesson 4 is way more advanced than the 1st edition (vol 1)

That bit on cultural notes at the end of Shelly's link talks about the education system in China which actually appears in the lesson 16 of volume two (1st edition)

"New Practical Chinese Reader (3rd Edition) Textbook 1 is composed of two preparatory lessons of Introduction to Phonetics and ten main lessons, including rich teaching content and tasks and activities on phonetics, vocabulary, grammar, Chinese characters and culture. " Completely revamped. Perhaps they should have changed the title; it looks so different.

Definitely not on the bookshelf in Wangfujing bookstore in Beijing. Saw most of the other NCPR titles there though.

Pity, I just bought the vol 3 2nd edition.

I had a better look, i like the use of colour although its not important, the content looks similarly presented but with some modern tweeks and updates.

I like it, I am using the first edition of which I have the whole set because i inherited it so I can't justify the expense :):(

• 8 months later...

If I had the option personally I would go for the 3rd edition and definitely I would get the workbook for which ever version you go for.

I think it comes down to which you prefer, I think the content is basically the same but differently presented.

• Like 1

Get whichever one is cheapest. The content is all the same (at least it is in the 1st and 2nd editions). Workbook is pretty "meh". Probably better just to get a textbook from a comparable series instead and work on it side by side with the NPCR.