Chinese-Forums

Harbin Summer Language Programs

willch

Hello

I'm keen to study in Harbin this summer (2016) to become as fluent as possible. I've studied at BLCU before for a year, and while my Chinese did improve I also partied A LOT haha. So, this summer instead of that I was looking to something a bit less 'international.' 

I've come across a couple options. The CET program is too expensive for my taste, but HIT seems to offer short term summer language programs. There is not much information on here about them... I am lower-advanced in Chinese (passed HSK 5) and I read on one thread that HIT does not have excellent upper level Chinese courses... can anyone confirm this? 

Also, the summer session is only one month... I was hoping to do the two one month sessions back to back if possible. Again, anyone have any experience/advice about this? I am also considering 1 month Harbin 1 month Beijing if it doesn't make sense to do back to back HIT summer sessions.

Besides these places, anyone have any recommendations for good intensive language programs...? Harbin is attractive due to accent.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Will

• Like 2

HIT offers the standard fare that Chinese universities do when it comes to language teaching. I haven't studied in other unis myself but from what I've talked with other unis students in Harbin and read on the Internet it seems like HIT is propably just as good or bad as any other university in China.

You could also take a look Bincai school in Harbin: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/18758-bincai-school-bincai-college-harbin/

Maybe doing one month in HIT and one in Bincai. 1 to 1 mandarin workshop is also a good option but a bit more expensive: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/24933-1to1-mandarin-workshop-harbin/ Or maybe after one month in HIT you could just find a private teacher/tutor on your own and save money compared to going to actual schools. Many of the uni teachers would be willing to give private lessons. Or get one of the CET teachers to teach you privately (they are better than regular Chinese university teachers).

You'd have to figure out where to live tho if you're not staying in a university dorm. Short term renting is a bit problematic in Harbin as normally you'd rent a place for at least 6 months. There are sort of service apartments in the city that would cost about 100 rmb a day that can be rented for short term or perhaps you could even cut a deal with some hotel for a fixed price for one month.

While Harbin isn't the most international place on earth, it does have a fair amount of bars and clubs and foreigners that like to party so you would still have to make your own decision about how you spend your time and who you hang out with.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hey Will! 

I'm applying for a CSC scholarship to study Mandarin at BLCU for a year from September this year. It was interesting to hear that you wanted to escape the international and party lifestyle that BLCU language students have. While I know it'd be great fun, I'm also like you and I want to move onto learning as much of the language as I can. 

I'm tossing up whether I'd be better off spending the year in Harbin and I'm looking into a few of the different university language options there. It's pretty hard to judge which university is the best for learning Mandarin. 

I'm currently about HSK Lv 2. 

Have you decided what you're doing over the Summer yet?

Elliott