Chinese-Forums

Who Records and Sings a Chinese Song Here?

Leiya

Hello! Does anyone here is brave like me who posts his/her songs in YouTube or any social media?

I have a lot of Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) songs recorded and I uploaded them in YouTube. But Im not really a professional singer.. but I do want to be a singer but I guess the song doesn't like me but I like the song. he!he!he!

I recorded some songs of Vivian Chow (my fave Chinese artist ever).

Wang Lee Hom, Jay Chou (I like his music best), and JJ Lin. Also songs of Rainie Yang, also the singer who sang Bao Bei. 

I also recorded the song of Penny Dai etc. (also I did cover songs in Japanese and Korean). 

I cant upload MP3's here... so I'll just give you the link to my youtube videos. Please note that Im not a professional singer.. just trying very hard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q7A7YkJW90 This is my Wang Lee Hom's cover of Ni Bu Zi Dao De Shi.. (pardon for some flats and errors).

Below are links to my Cantonese song my cover version of Vivian Chow's song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdIscx2j9E4  Rainie Yang's Zhi Xiang Ai Ni... 

And another https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llDZCA7A3_M Vivian Chow's Cantonese song A Long and Lasting Love.

Would love to hear your comments. I did not post the other cover versions there.. I feel they're not as good as these 3. Thanks! 

I will make no comment about your singing, I am not qualified as I can't sing at all, but I will comment on the actual recording.

In all three songs your voice is so quiet I can hardly hear it above the music. How did you record this?

You really need a good quality mic and some decent software to record with.

Also you sound scared of the sound of your own voice, you need to have more confidence and really sing with your heart and soul.

My partner and I run a business for the last 40 years that is all about live music, recording music and DJ and band equipment. I mention this to show I have some experience in the music field.

I think the tone of your voice is very pleasant, it would just be nice to hear it. :)

Yup, Wow that's cool! Thats expensive!!! Thanks for your suggestion. 

I just record it using a portable karaoke and I record it with my phone... and then transfer to the pc. Lots of hardwork hahaha

I already inquired about the mic but the store that sells it (I go for the cheaper ones) theyre out of stock so Im waiting. 

I did try to record in the studio (very expensive for an hour it costs a thousand pesos, I was able to record 1 English song and 2 Filipino) but its not Chinese its English here is the link. Are you familiar with Kirsten Dunst's song?.. Dream of Me.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJf8VRTb0cU

• Like 1

I know a thing or two about both singing and recording.

You sound like you're stuck in head voice, or you just aren't using very much air. I'm not sure of your range but you should be in chest voice (same way that you talk) most of the time. Try doing scales and arpeggios on a bilabial trill, like this.

You don't need a lot of expensive equipment. Read Low End Theory on Gearslutz. They talk about low budget equipment and software. Audacity is not bad, and it's free. As for equipment, get a decent microphone and preamplifier. If your budget is really tight, you can get a USB microphone like a Blue Yeti, but overall they aren't very good. Getting a separate microphone and preamplifier gives you more flexibility.

You can record in a closet, with lots of sound-absorbing clothes around. Make sure you use a pop filter.

Don't use reverb on vocals unless you have a really good reason.

Hello Hofmann. Thanks for the tips. Yup I took voice lessons wayback during my elementary and highschool days...  yeah should be in the diaphragm...

Yup I wanted to buy a microphone but the store where I can get it cheap is out of stock.