Chinese-Forums

Reviewing in Taiwan some commonly used textbooks

zhe

Great reviews! I'm studying in Taiwan but not in Taipei so it's nice to have a separate topic not mixed in with a specific university. As you said it seems PAVC is being replaced at some schools but the review is definitely useful because outside of Taipei, PAVC is still by far the most used. In fact, I am studying book 5 now because the university I study at continues with that textbook instead of some of the other intermediate options you mentioned. What's next for you? Have you looked at Thought and Society yet?

Thanks a lot for this very useful post!

Few weeks ago I passed TOCFL Level 4 quite easily both in listening and reading, I feel like I have solid foundation, even if communication problems in everyday life are still frequent.

Would you say that the contents taught in PAVC4 are enough for passing TOCFL Level 4? Or were you already in a "higher" level than PAVC4 by the time you passed it?

What's next for you? Have you looked at Thought and Society yet?

Yeah, I've had a look at Thought and Society, and it will probably be the next textbook I am going to study. I am just kinda terrified with the amount of vocab it has, so I'm postponing it for now.

My speaking skill lags other skills so I am going to try copy OneEye's TV show study, now I have my set on 兩個爸爸. On top of that some extensive shadowing and chorusing using sentence books and old textbooks. 

Any chance of you writing review of PAVC5? It kinda intrigues me since the essays seem solid and fortunately doesn't introduce crazy amount of vocab per chapter.

EDIT: I only now noticed there was review of PAVC5 already posted here

Would you say that the contents taught in PAVC4 are enough for passing TOCFL Level 4? Or were you already in a "higher" level than PAVC4 by the time you passed it?

I had almost finished Far East book 3 when I took the TOCFL. For the reference I had some friends in CLD who were at the time studying end of PAVC3, they almost passed level 3. Another friend at ICLP, also studying PAVC3 passed level 3, for listening almost passed level 4, so I guess it would be doable, depending how much you've studied extra. Biggest hurdle might be reading speed as at that point there hasn't been much reading practice. My friends didn't manage to answer half of the questions in reading comprehension, but I think they didn't have any strategy for the exam. 

• Like 1