Chinese-Forums

1-4-1 tones combinations

Flickserve

Could I get some help with a few examples of short phrases or even sentences that have a sequence of tones 1-4-1 within them?

I would like to get a little more practice at speaking various sentences with this tone sequence.

As a proper noun 一帶一路 is commonly pronounced as 1414, i.e. without tone sandhi. 一 as used here means "one" : One Belt One Road so should be pronounced in tone 1.

If 一帶 is used as "in the area" then 一 is in tone 4. Similarly, if 一路 is used as "along the way" or "all the way" then 一 is in tone 4.

Do you have any source for that? 一带 as 44 seems really weird to me. Or did you mean to say it would be 24? As for whether to apply tone sandhi to 一 within fixed expressions or not, it's really murky and I'm not that sure how it works. Interestingly, the audio that comes with Pleco is inconsistent between the male and female voices. If you check the audio for 一带 for example, the male voice says 14 but the female voice says 24. So, who knows.

Correction: When I wrote the post my mind told me that 1414 was what most people said. I then searched Youtube for news stories that have the term in it. Actually both 2424 and 1414 were spoken. One commentator even said 2424, then a few seconds later said 1414. A top leader, Zhang Dejiang, in his recent speech in Hong Kong, said something like 2414. However Xi Jinping himself said 2424.

The tone sandhi rules for tone 1 are pretty strict forward, except when it comes to fixed expressions, where there are no rules (as with all exceptions).