Chinese-Forums

one to one classes: where to look

aless

Hi all. Sorry to get back again with more questions about arranging some tuition in Kumming, I didn't plan much ahead so now I'm trying to figure out what I can do in a couple of months there.

I contacted a few schools, and obviously they cannot guarantee they can arrange a small group for the period I'll be there. So now I'm thinking about private classes instead. Maybe one hour a day to start with, then increasing to two if I see that things work out.

Schools offer private classes, and they go for about 80-100 yuan/h.

I read a few posts here, maybe one year old, that they can be found also in the 50-60 yuan range. Are these students trying to make some money while they study?

I don't mind freshly graduated, but I'd like someone that has finished his studies already, possibly in a Chinese language related field.

So the question: where to look? I can post here or on GoKunming, but still I'd need to meet them in person. Is there some other place, even old style paper message boards, where I can find tutors offering classes?

I know people who charge more is usually more prepared/had more experience, but it might also be not so.

If someone had a good experience with some tutor and can pass me the contact I'd also be grateful. Maybe posting here is not appropriate(?). PM maybe?

Thanks!

So the question: where to look? I can post here or on GoKunming, but still I'd need to meet them in person. Is there some other place, even old style paper message boards, where I can find tutors offering classes?

Sometimes Chinese graduate students (or even undergraduate students) who are trying to make a little extra money on the side as they pursue their own degree will post notices in the cafés on Wenlin Street 文林街 and Wenhua Alley 文化巷 where foreigners hang out. So it wouldn't hurt to look there. (Both those streets are near Green Lake 翠湖。)

I suppose you could also post some notices on bulletin boards where Chinese university students might see them on the campuses of some local universities. But I have not done that myself and cannot tell you exactly where it would be best to put them.

The problem with any of these methods, using actual paper on bulletin boards or using digital ads on-line, is that it can take some time to find a suitable teacher. Part of what you pay for when attending a school is the work they do for you in this regard. You are paying them for their efforts in recruiting, screening, training and supervising of teachers.

So now I'm thinking about private classes instead. Maybe one hour a day to start with, then increasing to two if I see that things work out.

One hour a day is not very efficient either for you or for your teacher, since travel time must be taken into account. If your budget only allows for 6 hours a week of instruction, dividing those 6 hours into 2-hour chunks would still probably be preferable.

Suggest you also try to find free language exchange as a supplement to whatever you are able to arrange in the way of paid instruction. Language exchange comes with its own set of issues, but still can sometimes be of value.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the valuable information. Very good piece of advice,that also led me to think a tourist visa is not really suitable for studying, even for a short time, as much of it will be wasted in arranging my classes and stay. I'll see what can be organized through a school.

By the way, I read an X2 student visa can be issued for courses lasting less than six months, but is there a minimum amount of time, or hours of classes, to be able to apply for an X2 visa?

I think the school will probably advise you to get a tourist visa if your planned stay is short enough (eg less than 3 months). So any minimums for X2 won't be a problem. IIRC some Kunming unis can arrange X visas for 10h/week Chinese courses, so any minumum is pretty low.

I'll see what can be organized through a school.

That will probably work out best, especially since this is your first time doing these things here. The do-it-yourself route is not always easy to manage. It sounds simple at first, but actually has lots of moving parts.

If you come here and study with a school for a couple months, meanwhile getting oriented to the city and to the Chinese way of doing things, then perhaps you can return next year and make arrangements on your own to "fine tune" your learning experience.

By then you will also speak a little Chinese, and that makes it easier too. Doing everything in English puts you at a disadvantage.