Chinese-Forums

Nanjing Normal Uni

kelvy254

Hi Guys, 

Since i'm headed to Nanjing Normal Uni this Sept, i figured i start this thread to make some acquaintances. Those headed to the same Uni are especially welcome. I'm looking forward to a great experience in Nanjing especially learning mandarin chinese for the three years that i'm planning to stay there. I just find the language fascinating and weird at the same time. I just hope i'll get by without troubles. Any experience from anyone who's lived, studied, or visited Nanjing, nanjing normal Uni or China at large can contribute. 

I'm from Kenya, btw.  :wink:

Thanks.

nanjing is a good city. i lived there for 3 months this summer. compared to beijing or shanghai, (or america as well obvs) the cost of living is REALLY affordable. like wow.

the subway works well... lots of colleges (i.e. lots of cute girls), great dumplings, and it's relatively clean for china.

there's some pollution but it's usually fairly light, nothing like beijing.

its main drawback is that nanjing is famously one of the five hottest cities in china in the summer... hotter than guangzhou.

so i hope you have A/C ;D

• 5 months later...

I worked very close to NJ Normal for 5 years, so I you need some advice.......

As dtcamero said, summer is HOT........ and winter can be Cold - poor [as in none!]  insulation makes apartments feel much colder.

Air pollution is a problem. Watch your step - pavement is often uneven, Bring your DVD player. There is an ally almost opposite the main gate - cheap and good barbershop at the far end, and several good restaurants including a very good pizza place [Panda Pizza] not far from the entrance. There is a very good ethnic Chinese restaurant just before the public toilets - they have a sliding glass door. Good picture menu and friendly staff.

MacDonalds is next door. Wet market and grocery store nearby.  Nearest subway station takes about 15 minutes walk[take the bus[/  Some restaurants in the ally behind the grocery store,. I recommend the Muslim one - beside the beauty salon as you near the crest of the hill. 

Do not go to Tommys Pasta place.on Beijing Lu.- over-priced and poor value

Times Square has a good selection of imported food stuffs.

There is a fairly cheap hotel at the corner of Shanghai Lu and Beijing Lu. 

Lake Park is nice - about 15 minutes away by bus.