Chinese-Forums

My HSK is invalid in 2 months.

thechamp

Hi!

I have an HSK5 but it's invalid in 2 months (took it two years ago). I've been back in the UK for nearly a year, but was in Taiwan for the year before that. What is the situation with regards HSK qualifications becoming invalidated. Has anyone had a situation where they needed to re-sit it for anything?

I feel with a month of intense study I could pass it again, but my vocabulary will certainly have shrunk, although I do speak Chinese semi regularly with friends, colleagues, friends' parents etc.

I have an HSK5 but it's invalid in 2 months

Invalid for which purpose?

I've never heard about the new HSK certificate having a limited validity period, except that students who wish to enter college in China need to have passed it within the last two years.

Source: http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/Study/HSKProgram/t1117654.htm

The HSK certs expire after 2 years.

Essentially it just means they can't guarantee you are at the same level as when you took the exam if two years have passed. That is, if you're using the HSK for a job or something.

It probably won't matter but if it did, you'd just have to redo the test.

That is, if you're using the HSK for a job or something. 

Mine also expired last year, but it's not a big deal at all.

To be honest, no one asks for your HSK when you're applying for a job. For positions where they require Chinese knowledge but still open for foreigners the interview is managed in Mandarin, therefore it's fairly easy to measure your real level. The sad truth is that holding your HSK does not mean anything in terms of your language skills, and companies know this too well to rely on it.

However, if you have plans on attending Bachelor/Master/PhD programmes in China in the next two years, then you should consider retaking the exam. Otherwise don't worry about it.

• Like 1

Mine also expired last year, but it's not a big deal at all.

The HSK does _not_ expire. Of course any company can require you to have passed it within the last year, the last three years or whatever they think is appropriate. But that doesn't have anything to to with expiration.

• Like 1

I meant expiration by the "official" usage e.g. attending university or applying for Confucius Scholarship. From that point of view, it does expire.

I don't think any serious company would force you to redo the stupid exam, because for them it doesn't matter. Most Chinese HR guys/girls don't have a clue about the exam, even at multinational companies.

TL;DR: don't stress about the stupid piece of paper.

• Like 1

What's more, if I were you I'd still put it on my cv (if you're looking for work). Just present it as 'Spent x time in China, at the end of which I passed the HSK, the official Chinese exam for foreigners'. That way it will look like a diploma, which don't expire either.

"The HSK does _not_ expire."

Well, after two years it's not accepted for University applications. It's not valid for that purpose. Does that mean it's expired? Maybe. Either way, I think we all know what the situation is. I'm certainly happy :-)

What everyone says: it expires if you want to use it for university application, the certificate itself does not expire. It is mostly used for university application purposes though. 

This is my thing. It's a university related qualification, and as such I describe it in interviews (even for something that's not Chinese-related (I'm a software engineer)) as 'the exam which allows you to take a Chinese taught degree at a Chinese university', so, for the description I give it essentially expires so not sure whether to remove it from my CV. I can't think of any other description for it because the 'levels' are too vague. I had a month between jobs in China to sit the exam and was initially encouraged to take 6 but took 5 because I wanted to do the one I could guarantee I'd pass. Could I pass 6 now? Almost certainly not, but it would be cool to put it on the CV with a bracketed (highest level in Chinese proficiency exam for foreigners). One day I might take off 3 months and go and study intensely for the 6.

Then you can just write 'level 5 out of 6' or 'second highest level' or 'level 5 (qualification to attend Chinese university)' or something like that. You passed level 5; level 5 qualifies one to attend Chinese university; you're not actually attempting to attend university now; so you're not lying. And even if you hadn't kept up your skill, the HSK proves that you made good use of your time in China, like to expand your skillset, like to make an effort to fit in with your surroundings, and bunch of other positive things. If I were you I'd most definitely keep it on my cv. You earned it.

Regardless, as others mentioned, no employer is going to care about your HSK level. If they don't need your Chinese they won't care, and if they do need your Chinese they'll test it themselves and HSK is just an indication. You don't have an HSK problem, you have a phrasing problem. Much easier to solve.

• Like 1