Chinese-Forums

How long does it take to get a residence permit (study) in Shanghai?

Guest barashkov

Hi,

I saw on the official website that they seem to suggest it will take about 7 working days to get a residence permit ("Please come to apply for the resident permit at least 7 working days before your current visa expired for avoid overdue stay. "http://crj.police.sh.cn/jx_notice_sc_en.jsp)

Whereas, on other websites it seems to suggest that it might take 15 working days to get the residence permit.(http://www.visainchina.com/visa2.htm)

Does anyone know how long it takes in practice usually?

I have to leave Shanghai temporarily in September so just wondering how long it is going to take.

Is it necessary to make an appointment in advance or can you just go to the immigration bureau and wait?

Thanks

Usually your company would take care of it. I've never been in person to process a residence permit. In Beijing you can't seem to get appointments, you just go and queue. They have a ticket number in some instances too where you wait for your number to be called.

In my experience is usually takes around 2 weeks. It might depend on what residence permit you're getting...

When I did this in Shanghai 4 years ago, it took about 3 days, but that was not standard, it was just the date they told me to come back on my little receipt when I handed them all my documents. I seem to recall there was an expedited option as well.

I just walked up to the appropriate window with the forms and handed them over. It was empty when I went.

• 8 months later...

Even though I am from Wuhan myself, I can't make a quite decision.

For me Chengdu is really a nice city to relax, delicious food. However as many people mentioned above, they don't speak Mandarin often, and for me the cost in Chengdu is a bit higher than in Wuhan.

For Wuhan , due to the reason that the whole city is under construction so it does seems messy for some areas of the city, but if you are living in Hankou or Hanyang area things are quite nice and smooth there.

And yes, a lot of universities (good ones) in Wuhan so the culture here is more open and you will have more chances to meet and communicate with young people.

Hope that helps.