Chinese-Forums

Etiquette on Wechat

Flickserve

One of the language partners on my wechat added my account to one of her friends account without asking me first. Reason - this other girl was a nice person to talk to.

Is this sort of behaviour fairly common in China?

Am I missing something? You don't have to accept, and your friends circle should be set to private anyway, so I don't know what personal information you think was shared without your permission other than your user ID?

Whose permission did you seek? :-)

In days past, it was a matter of etiquette to ask politely first if you can forward another person's phone number. At the very least, tell them!

Don't realise the other person cannot get their details? I registered on italki a while back and contribute to some of the discussions and notebook. One of the early days after starting using wechat, I got a spontaneous request as a language partner. It was very strange as I only divulged my wechat id on the italki messaging system and for some reason, they cannot add me unless my request comes through. They are unable to 'see' me. I am a bit selective with an unfamiliar system and haven't many contacts. It turned out that this person had somehow traced my wechat after seeing my italki posts. I can only assume two possibilities - one is that he hacked italki's private messaging system to contact me. But people normally can't 'find' my username (unsure why). Second possibility is that he found my wechat via my mobile phone which I use for italki and Wechat.

Not something to make a big fuss but it exemplifies that to assume nobody can get your personal details is rather naive. After all, Skype (without permission) added my contacts list to itself.

Second possibility is that he found my wechat via my mobile phone which I use for italki and Wechat.

if he saved your phone number to his phone, your WeChat account appeared as a "recommended friend"

Whose permission did you seek? :-)

In days past, it was a matter of etiquette to ask politely first if you can forward another person's phone number. At the very least, tell them!

The forwardee, of course. I assumed forwarding X's details to Y lets Y see X's details and not the reverse. Consistent with the etiquette of days of yore*...

* cf days of 'your mum'!

The forwardee, of course. I assumed forwarding X's details to Y lets Y see X's details and not the reverse. Consistent with the etiquette of days of yore*...

* cf days of 'your mum'!

just making sure. Assumptions can lead to misunderstandings. Happens a lot everywhere in the world.

Anyway, I have the answer I.e. Not a normal occurrence.