Chinese-Forums

Private English Lessons in Shanghai

pho

Hello,

I am going tomorrow to Shanghai with a CIS scholarship for the Fall Semester. I would like to stay for another semester as a self financing student (unless I find another scholarship maybe a local one, if you have any idea you are welcome).

Iin order to cover my living costs, I am thinking of giving private English lessons to pupils/students or helping them with their English courses. I am looking for advice on how to find interested students and what would be the hourly amount you can ask for. Any personal experience would be welcome! Thanks.

Iin order to cover my living costs,

This means you would be paid, being paid is considered a job no matter how informal you might think it is, even unpaid work can be a problem. Authorities consider it work, and are not happy about because, you won't be paying taxes and you are possibly taking a job from a Chinese person.

I just think you ought to check, some schools can get it sorted out with the authorities and you can get permission to work a small amount of hours.

You don't want to blot your copybook with getting in trouble over it.

Just ask your school.

Sure you are both right. I will ask my University first and check what the possibilities are. I don't want any troubles with the authorities.

Just for the record I am not a professional English teacher or currently studying to become one. I have just finished my secondary school so when I mean help it is really help not proper lessons by a professional. A bit like the help I got in Physics from a student for a few months before my exams.

I understand that you are not

a professional English teacher or currently studying to become one. I have just finished my secondary school so when I mean help it is really help not proper lessons by a professional. A bit like the help I got in Physics from a student for a few months before my exams.

All of this means nothing, its the getting paid for it that counts, even if you did it for free you would probably need to clear it with the authorities.

I don't want to put you off I just want you to do it correctly, so it is enjoyable and profitable.

I agree with Shelley that this means nothing.  

It's getting paid for it that counts and from what you said in your original post it looks as though the income involved would be not insignificant (i.e. enough to cover your living expenses for a second semester after your scholarship expires).