Chinese-Forums

Advice to find an 4 week intensive Mandarin course in Shanghai

williamwu123

Hi all!

I have been studying Chinese on and off for the last year or so with the dream of eventually moving to work in China, and it has been very difficult to gain self-motivation in the last few months, especially since I work as a consultant full-time. As a result, I'm planning to take December off to focus solely on my Chinese and am looking for an intensive 4 week course in Shanghai beginning in December. I know this forum has some of the best advice available, so wondering if someone can provide kind recommendations?

It would need to be:

- Very structured and intensive, starting in December, for 4-6 weeks

- Suitable for my level (I have enough vocabulary to pass HSK 5, but am a little weak in the usage)

- At an university or reputable college/company (I take popularity of the program as a proxy for how good it is)

- Not break the budget - not looking for one of those $1000 a week programs, but something more affordable

Thank you all! Not sure if this is the right forum, so moderator please move if necessary

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,first I work for LTL Mandarin School, so this is not a recommendation or independent opinion, but as you havent got many replies so far and LTL happens to offer a pretty decent discount that would apply to you, I thought I reply.

For people who start a four week or longer course in December, LTL offers a 50% discount for the Christmas and New Year weeks because during that time our school is usually pretty empty and it sounds like this might fit you quite well.

However, while a week of classes at LTL certainly does not cost 1000 USD, we are not the cheapest program you can find (nor do we want to be either - I am actually quite proud that we pay our teachers decently and believe it makes a big difference to quality).

You can find more information regarding the courses and options on http://www.livethelanguage.cn/learn-chinese-in-shanghai/

There is a thread about LTL Shanghai on Chinese Forums, however it has only been there for a month or so and so far nobody except me has written anything http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/52235-ltl-mandarin-school-shanghai/

If you go by popularity, LTL is relatively new in Shanghai (started last year) and the school is not that big (yet?), but I think you can say that we are very well established in Beijing (have a look at the Chinese Forums thread on there http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/forum/30-beijing/ or give it a quick google search).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here, pm or email (andreas@livethelanguage.cn) me.