Chinese-Forums

Healthcare in Harbin

js6426

Sorry to be posting so many new threads, just trying to make sure I have all my bases covered before moving!  Can anyone give me any insight on the quality of healthcare and dentistry in Harbin?  I am currently living in Cambodia and so the healthcare is a joke.  I read online that it is a good idea to get in country health insurance (I will be studying at uni so I assume I will have to do that, as I don't think students get free coverage), as anything major will cost an absolute fortune.  My wife needs 3 of her molars replaced, and that is going to cost around $3000 here in Cambodia (and will probably be a terrible job), so we are contemplating waiting until moving to China if it's going to be cheaper and better quality, which is why I also ask about dentistry.

How easy is it to get health insurance in China?  For a plan with medical evacuation, what sort of cost would one be looking at per person?  I have Chinese friends in Harbin so they will be able to help me with actually getting insurance when we arrive, but with me being an expat I imagine the process might be slightly different than for a Chinese national.

Also does anyone have experience with having a baby in China, or know some who does, and would be willing to share their experience?  We may be looking to have another little one in the next couple of years.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jonny

My wife needs 3 of her molars replaced, and that is going to cost around $3000 here in Cambodia (and will probably be a terrible job), so we are contemplating waiting until moving to China if it's going to be cheaper and better quality, which is why I also ask about dentistry.

Would not tackle that here. The standard Chinese way is just to pull the bad teeth and leave it at that. Dental implants are in their infancy here and fraught with complications. Go to Hong Kong or Thailand, and it won't be a bargain. 

--------------

Edited to add:

I do know a very good endodontal clinic in Shenzhen. If she needs a complex root canal and crown, I can give you a name. My experience with their work has been highly favorable. Prices are less than the US or Hong Kong. But such repairs are still expensive anywhere.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I looked up some of the old posts, and there was some good stuff by KDavid, thanks for that abcdefg.

Does anybody have any info related to having a baby in China, specifically Harbin, but China in general would also be helpful.  What are the kind of costs one would be looking at.  Have people had good/bad experiences?  My wife is not Chinese so we would be two expats having a baby there.  Does anybody know what we would do for a visa to get our child out of China (or allow them to stay in), soon after they are born?  I would have no issues getting a British passport through the embassy, but unfortunately that may not be the case for a Cambodian passport (would probably need to travel back to Cambodia).  Any help anyone can offer in this area would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!