Chinese-Forums

What is the difference sound between zi and ze?

reinard_wu

I am currently learning the difference between zi and ze sound, and it is so hard for me to learn this.

1. Could somebody tell the difference between them ?

2. How to distinguish between zi and ze sound ?

3. Please hear this recording (https://soundcloud.com/reinard-wu/zi-or-ze) and tell me this sound zi2 or ze2 ?

Zi is a shorter vowel sound.

It's nothing to do with the length of the vowel. If anything, [zi] doesn't have a vowel at all, only a syllabic consonant (though that's no shorter in duration than the equivalent vowel it replaces).

I agree that the recording is [ze], but I think it's one of those cases (someone mentioned in that recent thread about -n vs. -ng finals) where the over-enunciation of the sample recording actually makes it less easy to identify. The speaker emphasizes the [z], causing it to become drawn out, making it sound like [zi].

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Definitely ze!

The difference I feel when I pronounce ze versus zi is that in ze the initial sound comes from the front of my mouth (the teeth) and then the sound movies towards the back of my mouth.  In zi, the sound after the initial consonant still feels like it's coming from very near the front of my mouth (not quite at the teeth like the 'z' but almost).