Chinese-Forums

New classicification of foreigners

xiaokaka

• 1 month later...

There's an update on this!

They've just rolled the system out in Shanghai, here's a nice article with updated information about the permit from the Shanghaiist.

At the bottom, they've got a nice grid of provisional criteria that are (I think) being used throughout the trial run.

Having checked the list, I clock in at 61 points - just enough to be class B! Phew. :)

How do you score?

This is all still very preliminary and will probably look very different once it is implemented. All it tells you are the moment that nobody knows how and who will be able to get work permits in the future in China, so if you can get one now (or renew your current one), do so quickly.

Most likely, not much will change....

Expats who have successfully applied at least twice for a one-year work permit will be eligible for a five-year work permit

Wow.

Another thought occured to me. I wonder if this card will function similarly to a Shen Fen Zheng 身份证 National ID card for things like banking, using public transport and registering for Alipay/Wechat Pay.