Chinese-Forums

Studying on a family reunion (spousal) visa

Samiii22

• New Members

I've been on s family reunion (spousal) visa for the past 4 years. As working on this type of visa is not allowed, I decided to use my time in another way and study a little bit at one of the Chinese universities just for 1 year. I did my registration at the university successfully and they didn't ask anything about my visa type when I showed them the one I have and registered me. As I wanna avoid problems of converting residence permit types from one to another just for one year, I didn't change it to student residence permit and still have my spousal permit. I wanna know if it would become a problem for me if I study on a family reunion (spousal) visa. Thank you

I feel like this goes against the spirit of this particular visa category; and, knowing how particular the Chinese visa system and categories can be, it is probably, technically, in violation of something, given that studies (like employment) is not an explicitly approved activity and is an activity with its own visa category.

That said, I sincerely doubt that anyone will ever notice the difference, let alone care, especially with the university having now enrolled you as a student.

Have fun, and best of luck with your studies!

• Like 1

• New Members

As it's just one year I assume you're not on a degree course?

It's a degree program but for the 2nd year I don't really have to remain enrolled at the univeristy in China. Thank you  :)

That said, I sincerely doubt that anyone will ever notice the difference, let alone care, especially with the university having now enrolled you as a student.

Thank you  :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am in BJ on a spouse visa/residence permit. Within 1 week I got rejected by 2 universities so far, they both claimed that you can only learn Chinese if you have a student visa. The courses I applied for do not even provide a degree, they are just a few month long ordinary language classes.

OR: is it possible to switch the visa category? Would that be complicated?

OR: does anyone know of a reliable language school in BJ (Changping or Haidian districts) that offers intensive classes, 3-5 hours every weekday?