Chinese-Forums

How difficult do you rate this snippet of audio?

realmayo

Okay, well I'm glad I posted the audio, I don't feel so bad about struggling with it, and I can see that if using the textbooks the way they were intended, they would indeed be suitable for second-year students. I'm also happy that used the way I intend to use them, including looping difficult passages until I understand them, and falling back on the transcripts when necessary, this old series and its cassettes will keep me busy for a couple of weeks.

Haven't read all the posts, but I remember that this was the kind of listening exercise that occasionally almost made me cry because for the life of me I couldn't follow it, not the first time around and not after an hour of class either. BLCU, my third year of learning Chinese. Even now I'd have to listen at least twice, and I at least have some idea what 华西村 is. If you can't follow this, it doesn't necessarily mean that your listening sucks.

This thread has been helpful to me because it has opened my eyes to doing something similar to what Realmayo has undertaken. Namely specifically targeting increasing my ability to understand newscasts. It is now on my list of projects for 2017. Thanks.

It's so easy to get lazy after a certain point and just unconsciously think "my Chinese is good enough," when actually it's still crap. Complacency is a disease. 

• Like 1

Ok, the second one

Also, 100 and something companies have opened up subsidiaries overseas. Investment of over 300m yuan. Opening up new markets, creating conditions for growth, something like that?

Listening again...

Ha, missed this was still 乡镇企业。 110. Is that 实体企业? Missed when it started talking about a specific Zhejiang firm and the 'directly participating in international competition' bit.

Removed the spam. And a pox on anyone who thinks 'oh, they're doing a listening exercise, I'll immediately post a full transcript in plain view'

So, 25 downloads and only me posting about it. Guess we have differing ideas of fun...

Atongmu, no, but realmayo will be posting them weekly now. 

Atongmu, no, but realmayo will be posting them weekly now.

为Rod民服务

Out of curiosity, which HSK level does this audio & book correspond to?

The book was published in 2002 so well before the New HSK was introduced. I think second-year students using this course of Chinese textbooks in Chinese universities would be expecting to achieve Old HSK 5-6 which would probably put this around New HSK 4 or 5?

I agree, although I hope that doing intensive work on this type of audio will not just help me understand news reports better, but will give an uplift to my overall listening ability too. Another benefit of this being a second-year textbook is that I've already studied most of the vocabulary, which saves a lot of time.