Chinese-Forums

Changing jobs BEFORE I start...

mossm564

Hi folks! I have a weird question I'm hoping the brilliant folks in this group can help me with: I was just about to move to Shenzhen next week to start a job teaching English when I was headhunted by another agency doing a job that is more in line with my degree and career aspirations in Shenzhen as well. My passport literally arrived this morning with the z visa sticker in it. I haven't signed a contract with the English teaching job (as that is something they have you do upon arrival), so I'm under no obligation to them, but we have gone through the process of securing a Z visa. My question is: I want to take this other job, how do I go about switching my Z visa to the new job? I have asked this question to a few folks, and I have heard that I need to get a "release letter" from my previous employer to give to the new employer. I have also heard that the Z visa isn't necessarily tied to the company and since I am still stateside, once I would get to China and start with the new company, when they apply for my residence permit and all of that, I should be ok with the release letter and the company presenting the proper paperwork saying they are able to employ foreigners, etc. Does this sound right? has anyone ever heard of or been in this sort of situation? Is there a website or some place I can be directed to that has up to date information about how to do this? My new company is researching what needs to be done, but I am a bit of an eager beaver and want to do some research myself. Any tips would be appreciated!

I think that the release letter is required for changing the work permit to a different company. Did you need a work permit to apply for the Z visa or is the work permit something you obtain after entering the country?

If you don't yet have a work permit then I think you should have no problem entering the country on the Z visa you've already been issued and proceeding with all the following paperwork with the company who has headhunted you.

I haven't signed a contract with the English teaching job (as that is something they have you do upon arrival), so I'm under no obligation to them, but we have gone through the process of securing a Z visa.

I think company number one has paid some money for your visa, Z visa application is not 100% free, there are some fees they have paid. Not sure about the exact amount. 

since I am still stateside

this is good

No obligation to them if we exclude you may enter China under the premise that you're working for them .

New company has to make a couple of phone calls, cannot figure how that can be so complicated.

My best guess: scrap the current Z visa, apply for a new one. 

My concerns would be - presumably there's an invitation letter or something from the Foreign Experts Bureau or employment authorities with your name and the original company's name on, which you're going to need when applying for the residence permit? At the very least I'd expect a phone call to the original firm to see what's going on would be made. Also, are you 100% sure the second company even CAN employ foreigners? Have they don't it before? If not, you could hit problems.

Ain't necessarily so. If he's the boss of the entire company, maybe that's how he gets his visa. If he's an employee, is HE on a proper work visa, or is he doing HK visa runs or something? For a Chinese company to employ foreigners there are some fairly significant hurdles to jump. As this is already a bit of a complicated case I'd be making 100% sure on this. 

Ain't necessarily so. If he's the boss of the entire company, maybe that's how he gets his visa. If he's an employee, is HE on a proper work visa, or is he doing HK visa runs or something? For a Chinese company to employ foreigners there are some fairly significant hurdles to jump. As this is already a bit of a complicated case I'd be making 100% sure on this. 

The company is an american based company with offices in all of the tier 1 cities as well as here in the states that has been in operation for over 10 years. they have chinese and american employees, and I have verified they are in fact legit. my boss is a manager in the company, but not the boss of the company. he has been working for them for 5 years. one of my colleagues was just hired on by them and he went through the visa process with no issues. Thanks for your concern