Chinese-Forums

UK: PGCE in Chinese teaching, maybe funded

roddy

I don't know where to put this. Who runs this site?

This just came through on the BACS mailing list and thought it might be of interest. Ideally you'll already have a degree in Chinese, but from the page linked in the flyer "For Mandarin, HSK level 6 may be acceptable along with a degree in a related subject"

The PGCE for those who don't know is the Postgrad Cert in Education - basically it's a one year course for graduates which qualifies you to teach in UK schools. This one is at UCL in London and tailored for teaching Chinese, and comes with a possible £27,500 in funding. Sept 2017 start, but applications might close when it's full. 

See attached.

UCL IOE PGCE FLYER.pdf

• Like 1

That's fantastic, I too hope the offer lasts several years.

There's a tremendous shortage of qualified Mandarin Chinese teachers in the UK and a tremendous urgent need, But how and where are they going to find enough candidates with a BA in Mandarin, or even HSK6 level? Few teachers = few graduates = few teachers, a vicious circle. 

Off-topic:  I subscribed to the BACS mailing list a while back, but I don't think I've been confirmed by the person in charge.

Edit: I subscribed again and this time was added immediately.  Ignore the above!