Chinese-Forums

a few questions/doubts regarding masters degree in China

Kambili

First and foremost, thank god for such a helpful forum! :) It helped me immensely when I was doing all the research and sorting out the formalities before starting my studies in China.

I am studying in this lovely Middle Kingdom, curently in the second of my two-year general scholar Chinese language course. Sometime ago I have decided to apply for a master course next year, and hence have a few questions:

1. Im planning to go into translation in the future, Chinese to English or to my mother tongue, and Im not sure whether it would be better to go for an English translation course, or Chinese language and culture/literature one...? The former probably would go into translation theory and different approaches to it, while just studying Chinese on graduate level would probably help improve my Chinese a thousandfold, as it isn't all that amazing for the time being (somewhere between HSK 5 and 6).

2.Is Nanjing University a good choice for studying masters in translation, or in Chinese language? I just happen to be in Nanjing for now, so it would be convenient. I saw also Fudan is offering translation (out of the prestigious unis), but Im not sure if the edge it has (if any) over Nanda would be worth the hassle moving to Shanghai...?

3. What are the chances of being awarded the CSC scholarship a second time? On the admission website of Beida (not that Im planning to apply there) it was mentioned, as one of the eligibility conditions, that the applicant should not have previously received any Chinese government funding. I went to the office of Nanjing University recently though, and such a requirement wasnt mentioned at all. Different universities having different guidelines? I would think it was a standarized system...

4. Any tips on how to make your masters university application more successful? ;)

thank you for any replies :)

3. What are the chances of being awarded the CSC scholarship a second time?

I got it two times, both times through the Chinese embassy in my country. It is possible. I was not a student in China when I applied the second time. Hope it helps. Not sure if there are any rules applicable to all universities. I know you can be recommended for the CSC by an embassy or a university. Maybe when the university is nominating you for the CSC they have their own rules. In addition, there are local government scholarships, university scholarships, Sino-Foreign universities with their own funding. Application deadlines might vary too.

4. Any tips on how to make your masters university application more successful?

You should know what you want.

Are you more interested in translation and interpreting (conferences, legal contracts) or translating literature? What are your personal goals? 

​It is the people that make the place. It is important for you to find a good environment where you can work. You should look at faculty and alumni, even talk to them before applying. 

​When it comes to prestigious universities, I remember I translated (you probably won't be able to understand my translation) this article many years ago. Hope it can change the way you see academic prestige. 

https://theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/

I got it two times

That's encouraging :)

Yes I'm aware there is a whole bunch of various scholarships up for grabs, the CSC seems to be the most generous though. I heard if for some reason application for CSC scholarship is unsuccessful, it is automatically submitted for another scholarship scheme (local government or university's own). But that might be exclusively Nanjing University's policy.

By writing "prestigious", I had in mind solely the quality of education, devoid of any snobbish pursuits :) I know it is by no means a guarantee, especially that the Eastern and Western approaches to education vary immensely. But I would imagine it is not as easy to become a self-conceited individual out of touch with the real mundane world around them when attending the "Ivy League" of China, as it is in the West, simply because just living here is a never-ending lesson in humility and finding your way in this chaotic system, where your dormitory 阿姨 can quickly show you your place :) I enjoyed the article though.

Are you more interested in translation and interpreting (conferences, legal contracts) or translating literature?

Definitely written translation, literature, subtitles for movies, boring documents,都可以 :) I am well aware of the challenges oral, and especially simultaneous interpreting poses, and I don't think Im suited for working under such pressure.

What are your personal goals?

I want to get the stage when reading serious books in Chinese and holding philosophical conversations will not pose problems. I totally enjoy learning the language, in spite of the tricky tones...

Other than that, I just wanna stay at home and procreate like a rabbit, but I need to pay the bills somehow :D

Thank you Somethingfunny, that thread indeed offers some helpful insights!

I had in mind solely the quality of education, devoid of any snobbish pursuits

The worst kind of snobbish is snobbish devoid of any quality. 

I want to get the stage when reading serious books in Chinese and holding philosophical conversations will not pose problems.

Nice. Find a 导师 and other students with similar interests. 

Since you are in China already, you can look around.