Chinese-Forums

About to enter into a relationship but we have a huge age gap of 18 years, would that be a problem?

Kenny同志

She is 48 and I am 30.

I met her in March. She is pretty, affectionate, and extremely considerate and thoughtful, which are qualities I value most in a partner. Both of us feel great when we are together.

She has been single for 7 years or so following an unsuccessful marriage. She has a lover, a civil servant in our county, but she is planning to end that relationship as she was hoping to find someone else whom she could spend the rest of her life with.

She said that she could not give me a child, which I do not mind as I do not want to have any children at all. She has a 22-year-old daughter who is married and she said whatever decision she made, she would have the support of her daughter.

I expect there will be fierce opposition from my parents and relatives, both for the huge age gap and the fact that we will not have any children. But my only concern is, will the age gap prevent us from having a happy marriage? 

I am currently working on a project so I may not be able to reply to this thread promptly but I will try to provide any other information (if necessary) as soon as possible.

Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation? Or do you know of any man who has dated a woman much older than him? 

Please share your views on this and/or your experiences. Much appreciated. 非常非常謝謝.

I know of a man (brother of a sometime friend) who met his wife when he was something like 22 and she was something like 36. They met in a bar and initially both lied about their age (he up, she down), and when they continued to date they both adjusted it in several 'well, actually...' conversations. (This I find the most hilarious part of the story.) She wanted children and had to have them fairly soon. They married, had their children (fairly soon) and were still together by the time the friend told this story, years later. This is, of course, just one data point.

will the age gap prevent us from having a happy marriage?

By itself, no. Relationships can fail or succeed no matter how old the participants. In your situation, the children issue is a very big factor, but if you don't want any that is resolved. (Your parents might want grandchildren, but they're not the ones dating the lady.)

What you may need to keep in mind is that people of different ages can have different things they want in their daily life. A 22-year-old may want to go out a lot, backpack around the world and change career paths a few times, while a 40-year-old wants to have a fancy dinner with a few choice friends, stay in hotels and save up for retirement. With the result that the 22-year-old finds the 40-year-old boring and the 40-year-old finds the 22-year-old irresponsible, even though both are doing perfectly right. While you two are at a different age gap, you might also have different ideas on what makes a pleasant life, so I think it can be important to make sure these are aligned.

My advice would be to enjoy your time together & take it slow. If this is to last the rest of your lives, there's no need to rush anything. So get to know each other in good times and bad, at some point start the battle with parents and society in general, and get married once you both feel assured that together you can make it work well.

And last but not least, congratulations on meeting someone special! I hope you two can continue to make each other feel great and that you'll live happily ever after.

• Like 3

I agree with what Lu says, but I would be a little bit more wary than perhaps Lu seems to suggest. Not because of the age gap but because of the fact there has been one unsuccessful marriage and now a lover she is willing to drop to be with someone "long term". Why was it unsuccessful and why is the lover just a dalliance?

I would worry I would be just one more on the list. However that said it could be the best thing to happen to you so don't give up. Take it real slow, live together before marriage, something I would always recommend in case there is a "squeeze the toothpaste from the top" situation. Remember it can be the small stuff that really irritates and makes life together difficult.

I seem to remember (perhaps incorrectly, I can't find the relevant post) that you were planning on studying next year, would this change? I think that would be a shame.

Enjoy what you have and don't rush. I hope it works out.

If I were you, I'd go for her daughter, but seriously, only you can answer this question. Well, actually, no you can't, but only you can decide whether you want to take the risk.

Daughter is already married....Risky Business...

When you are making a decision, you can't predict what is going to happen. The fact that other people are happy/unhappy because/despite a big age difference does not mean you are going to experience the same. You can learn from the experience of others, but don't expect validation. There is no recipe for happiness. 

If the two of you are happy together, why not? 

She mentioned that she has a lover. If you agree to be with her she is going to end what she already has with him. You should be careful if you are thinking about making such a big decision. This is a big responsibility, it is about her, her child, your family. 

Can you describe what Chinese parenting is like? How do your parents feel about you deciding not to have any children? Also, if you start a relationship with this woman, you are going to be the father to her daughter, yes, she is not living with her mother, but her mother is still responsible for the girl. Are you ready for it? 

There is trauma, there is healing. You just have to be aware of what you are doing and live with your choices. In the end of the day, it is your life. 

Oh, and how is monogamy seen in Chinese culture? I don't know that much about Chinese culture.

Even though the difference between 48 and 30 may not seem so large to you now, remember that she will be 60 when you are only 42. Try to think through that scenario in your mind. Try to visualize how it will feel if someone mistakes her for your mother some years down the road.

I have lots of serious doubts about this situation, even without any age gap. Have you been dating 7 or 8 months, knowing all that time that she has another lover? That must have been difficult. Or if you just now found out, that must have been difficult too.

The opinion of one's relatives is so important in China. Will your parents give their blessing, even if it means renouncing all hope of grandchildren? Your parents may hate her for what they perceive as ruining your life and shattering their dreams.

Are her parents still in the picture? Will they look kindly on you?

• Like 2

She's still in a relationship with someone else.

Well put imron, that is the point I was trying to make. The whole idea of her being in a relationship with a "lover" and saying she is single. As I said in my post, don't be just the next one in the line till something better comes along.

• Like 1

On the other hand, what's the downside? If you don't want children, and we're not talking about marriage and its legal entanglements (is either of you much wealthier than the other?), then the worst that can happen is your heart will be broken. And you know what they say, it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. There won't be any children to worry about, her grown up daughter is grown up, your parents won't be any less pleased if the relationship ends than when it begins. There's a chance her current lover is a psycho-stalker, but that's true with any relationship. The worst that can be said is that you'ld be losing time when you could be starting a better relationship, but if you truly don't want children, that's not an issue, you can start the better one whenever it becomes available.

• Like 1

The worst that can be said is that you'ld be losing time when you could be starting a better relationship

​How does a better relationship look like?

Don't forget to pay attention to the fact that:

it is not a) your parents are unhappy, her daughter is okay with your relationship (or a potential one); 

it is b) you think your parents might disapprove, she thinks her daughter will be fine with it. 

The problem is not the fact that you need to win the approval of your family, or how to deal with her lover, or the age difference. It is more about how different an attitude the two of you have. It is not up to me to tell you what you need to do. Let's just say that she is acting like the parent of an adult, you- like someone who is approaching adulthood. One of the things about being a grown-up is that you need to make decisions and be responsible. If I tell you what to do, you won't grow up. So, make the decision yourself, but, please, make informed decisions. 

How does a better relationship look like?

One that doesn't make you ask for advice about it on a forum for chinese language learning.

If you are having to ask these things and you don't feel confident you already know the answers....maybe that's your answer.

If you felt a deep love in your heart and soul you wouldn't have to ask.

Any hesitation should be raising flags.

• Like 2

That's actually a much bigger issue in China, especially in terms of Chinese culture and marriageability.
Kenny is a man though. If he were a woman it'd be a whole different kettle of fish, but he won't be too old any time soon. As long as he keeps his life in order generally (gainful employment, some savings, a healthy social life) it shouldn't be that big an issue.

Despite my first post, I think Imron makes some good points. Either way, take it slow and take your time.

It has just occurred to me that really the answer might be in your question.

but we have a huge age gap of 18 years

You seem to think it is a HUGE age gap, perhaps it is huge because you think so. It you weren't worried about it you wouldn't have worded it like that.