Chinese-Forums

Number of sentences

Flickserve

I am gradually working my way through listening practice.

I listen to sentences which are set up in an Anki deck. Some parts of a sentence I will know, some words I know but didn't realise it is that word, some words I don't know at all.

I am just wondering what sort of numbers of sentences should I put into a deck to be manageable? What do experienced users of Anki do?

100 cards (i.e. sentences) per deck?

200 cards (i.e. sentences) per deck?

• Like 1

The number doesn't really matter, it's a matter of regular study. Personally however I think a few hunderd sounds very little. you need many sentences and a lot of variation to really learn. But then it depends a lot on your level and how your listening level compares to your reading level. Specially with sentences it's very easy to understand only half but to know the sentence after you went through the deck once or twice. I know other people have other opinions, but imho srs with sentences is not very effective. 

IMHO the best listening practice is to take a chinese subtitled or transscribed clip, listen to it (probably you should loop sentences till you understand) and write down what is said. then compare with the subtitles/transcript to see or you heard correct. I do it far too little as it's time consuming and hard work but in my experience it's the most effective listening practice. 

• Like 1

The number of cards in a deck does not really matter. You could have a million sentences in your deck but Anki only will show you 10 new ones (or whatever number you set the new cards per day to) everyday.

@Silent

I only do sentences. I go from Chinese sentence on the front to Chinese explanation of the new word in that sentence on the back. So far it seems to work fine.

The number doesn't really matter, it's a matter of regular study. Personally however I think a few hunderd sounds very little. you need many sentences and a lot of variation to really learn. But then it depends a lot on your level and how your listening level compares to your reading level. Specially with sentences it's very easy to understand only half but to know the sentence after you went through the deck once or twice. I know other people have other opinions, but imho srs with sentences is not very effective.

IMHO the best listening practice is to take a chinese subtitled or transscribed clip, listen to it (probably you should loop sentences till you understand) and write down what is said. then compare with the subtitles/transcript to see or you heard correct. I do it far too little as it's time consuming and hard work but in my experience it's the most effective listening practice.

Thanks Silent. Well, I would have multiple decks so the possibility of upper limit of total sentences would be pretty high. I would just like to organise sentences into rough categories depending on source or subject areas.

I set up Anki to solely play the audio (but not initially show the text). And I can listen to it any number of times before showing the back of the card.

But I was wondering if I keep cards down to 100 or 200 per deck, would that make things manageable or perhaps give oneself a sense of achievement having 'completed' a deck. I remember reading about SRS, learning facts and breaking things down and keeping it manageable

for better learning.

If I had all cards in one huge deck, what I would get is sentences from everywhere. Probably OK for advanced level but I am way below that stage and easily overwhelmed.

I am still trying to move to a comfortable B1 level and writing Hanzi from spoken sentences is not a high priority. I am open to recognising written Hanzi but I am trying to listen first, then read rather than read first, then listen.