Chinese-Forums

[Ended] FluentU year subscription $16.7 / yr (vs $240 / yr)

brogrammer

Well, to be honest it was expected that they would take action to take down the fluentudiscount website.

The first reason is that the website is undermining their business practices. It is sad that you have personal problems, but this doesn't justify the meaning of the discount website. The people working at fluentu are also people with their own family and perhaps own problems. How would you behave if someone else is selling your hard work for a cheaper price than you?

The second reason is that you did not contact fluentu beforehand about the discount website as some other people already have suggested. It is always problematic if you do the 'don't ask, do first' way, when you aren't the owner of the product/service. If you would asked this first, they probably would tell you that this isn't allowed and probably didn't do anything about the initial first group.

The third reason is that you never can make a profit of something that isn't yours. Yeah, there are always loopholes in the system but that doesn't mean you can exploit it. You need to face the consequences for that.

The problem that now arises is that legit non-profit study groups can face more difficulties when applying for a group discount. I think this group is the first one that exploited the group discount of Fluentu... I hope that other people can still apply for a group discount without worrying that their subscription will be downgraded in the future.

Well, you can't blame Fluentu for this outcome, because the reason that the group has been 'disbanded' is because some people tried to make profit from it. This is the natural reaction of every person who is working and of every company that is profit-based.

• Like 4

Ikki, you said that very well. I completely agree. The initial push was fine but the second push and setting up a website with the premise of "but this is helping me keep a roof over my head" went too far for all of the reasons you've outlined. 

As I currently work at a volunteer based organization in China, I hope this doesn't make it too difficult for future volunteers to take advantage of the group discount. It's hard enough living on a monthly stipend of 1300 RMB (housing is provided), I need not mention the challenges of acquiring language learning resources on this budget. 

I'm assuming, given the lack of complaints, everyone got refunded ok?

I'm not sure what the wording on the group discounts would have been, but I'm fairly sure it would have been intended for groups who already knew each other. If you want to sell the product to individuals, they'll probably have a traditional affiliate arrangement. 

To be honest when I got a message from Brogrammer telling me to close the topic (literally just the three words) and he wasn't posting in here, my assumption was there'd be problems with refunds. Glad to see that's not the case. 

I'm assuming, given the lack of complaints, everyone got refunded ok?

I got refunded.

I agree with the previous posters: the initial idea of creating a group subscription was great, but wanting to make a profit of it (and doing it so openly!) wasn't clever.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:29 AM, edwinfinch said:

expect a response from Ana or Alan about it, telling you that they're only ok with it if the person running it is not making any profit.

So as long as it wasn't for profit, the idea could still be valid? If we arranged a group with a deadline then split the money appropriately, there wouldn't be a problem? Might have to contact them and ask. It's a shame for everyone that wanted to study, and I was interesting in paying myself until it got closed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I contacted FluentU shortly after this happened, and explained my situation. I'm currently following Chinese classes and was interested to form another group with students from my class. They said I could do it. We're currently 4 so I'm looking for 6 other people to join our group (of max 10 people). If you're interested, PM me. 

Closing this - it's clear the group buy rules for FluentU aren't going to let anyone post on here and round up random Internet strangers. If things change drop me a line via the contact form or pm and we can reopen it or start a new topic.