Chinese-Forums

Simple pleasures: Chinese pork and peppers 青椒炒肉丝

abcdefg

It's always good to know a local who can guide you a little as to menus and kitchen tricks. The vegetable seller sounds like someone to cultivate.

When you visit Yunnan this spring, if you have time I'll gladly take you to the market. It's one of Kunming's unknown glories; definitely not a place where tourists generally go.

I've taken to having lunch there some days as well. There are a couple dozen stalls where one can buy very fresh food. The owners buy things right next door and cook them up while you wait.

Yesterday had one of my all-time favorite Yunnan treats, 豆花米线。Not sure if it's made anywhere else outside this area. Such an unusual combination of textures and flavors. Small dish 小碗 only 6 Yuan.

post-20301-0-60563000-1483801244_thumb.jpg  post-20301-0-49875300-1483801255_thumb.jpg  post-20301-0-72001400-1483801265_thumb.jpg  post-20301-0-78662900-1483801274_thumb.jpg

While I was there eating my meal, someone else came and wanted the same. But they ran out of the main ingredient, namely fresh 豆花。So the boss gave the empty pan plus a 5 Yuan note to a young girl who might have been his granddaughter. She scampered off to get more from the stall a few meters away where it was freshly made.

What a beautiful system: very little overhead and all the ingredients are made just minutes away.